Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of nights ago, I went out to get in the truck and go to the store. When I went to start the truck, the starter acted as if it was trying to turn over the engine then the starter would disengage and just spin. I took the starter off and had it checked at Advance where they determined the starter was bad. I replaced the starter and the solenoid on the passenger side firewall. The truck then started just fine but I now had a Battery light lit on the dash. Voltage across the posts with the truck not running was 12.5volts. The voltage across the posts with the engine running was only 12volts. If I disconnect the negative cable with the engine running, it died. With the negative cable disconntected, I can put a test list between the negative cable and the negative post and I don't get any light. This last step was what the Haynes manual said to do to test for a short. I took the alternator off and took it in to have it tested.

On the tester the diode light stayed lit and when put under "load" it kept throwing the breaker. So I replaced the alternator then ran the same tests again. I'm was still getting 12.5volts across the posts with the engine off and 12volts with the engine running. The battery light is no longer lit on the dash. It ran fine for the 15 or 20 mins I had it running until I put it under a load. I turned the lights on, the radio and the blower fan. After about 20 or 30 mins, the truck died. I jumped the truck off and it would run for a few minutes but would die again. The next time I jumped it off I disconnected the negative cable with the engine running and the truck died.

I'm sorry to have been long winded but I wanted to try and give all the info.

What am I missing? What have I not checked?

·
Banned
38,721 Posts
You put the wires back wrong on the starter relay. The little wire goes on the little post. The starter wire goes on the big rear post. EVERYTHING else goes on the big front post. You have the alternator wire on the back, with the starter.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
Steve83 said:
You put the wires back wrong on the starter relay. The little wire goes on the little post. The starter wire goes on the big rear post. EVERYTHING else goes on the big front post. You have the alternator wire on the back, with the starter.

StepByrd.....you got to let us know if this is it, i don't doubt it is.

I will personally drive to Tennessee and bow down to Steve for being able to troubleshoot that from two paragraphs and being a couple hundred miles away.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve83 said:
Final investigation revealed that the:

Little wire was on Little Post.

3 Yellow wires & Red Positive wire was on Big rear post.

Starter wire & Alternator was on Big Front post.

So Steve was basically right.

Now for the kicker. I printed out your reply. My son (who is home on leave from the Army) decided he wants to help Dad. He goes and tries to fix problem. I don't know what he did to it but now I have NOTHING.... NADA....ZIP....

He now has:

Little wire on Little Post.

Alternator & Red Positive wire on Big Front post.

Starter wire & 3 Yellow wires on Big rear post.

He said that when he connected it the first time he got a big spark from the negative cable when he put the Negative cable on and immediately pulled it off. He said he realized what he did and switched to what I have listed above.

I still have 12.5 volts across the posts. But nothing anywhere else. Nothing to the fuse box, etc... I pulled all the fuses and checked them visually. I didn't have my tester with me then. The owners manual said to check the fusable link. The one it mentions in the one connected to the starter relay. I checked the one going from the front post to the alternator and it tested ok with a continuity tester. I checked it from the loop connector to below where it splits into three wires and goes to the alternator. I have not checked the fusable links that are on the three yellow wires attached to the rear post. I ran out of time.

First question:

Steve, I know you said that the only wire on the rear post was supposed to be the starter wire but it seems like when I try to attach the three yellow wires to the front post they are pulled very tight. It pulls it ot the point that it puts pressure on the rest of the harness. Did I misunderstand?

Second question:

Am I on the right path regarding the fusable links or is there something else I am over looking?

Again, Sorry for being long winded. I just wanted to try and get all the info.

·
Banned
38,721 Posts
1) No. But it actually doesn't matter which big post is which, as long as the starter wire is ALONE.

2) You're probably overlooking that he probably left the door open & probably some stuff turned on, so when he connected the battery, there was a load, which caused a spark. Normal. Turn everything off, close the doors, & you should only get a TINY spark (radio memory, etc.) .

Rob
I'll tell my nephew-in-law to pack & watch outside for a Bronco...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright. I moved all the wires to the back post and put the starter wire ONLY on the front. Small wire to small post.

Still nothing.... no power anywhere. No lights not nothing.

·
Banned
38,721 Posts
Rob
5 min after you get done groveling.

Stepbyrd
Now check from the battery (+) across each fusible link & see which one got burnt out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found it. Just straight wired it around the link until I can buy one to replace it.

Put starter on front post and moved everything else to rear.

We are now running, Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts