Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when trying to fix the charging system it looking like there is a green with red wire that goes the the volt. Regulator in the engine bay, that wire has no power so I tested the one that comes off the ignition and it has power. A diagram said they come together in splice 401, but I cant find the location, any info?
For a 79 bronco

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
575 Posts
All the alternator wiring and according splices are on inner passenger fender.
Took most of this out today whilst switching to alternator

the splices are partly totally senseless, as doubling itself.

i ended up without voltage regulator, connecting the green/red wire to new green red on alternator
Redoing splices like in the picture and not using the yellow (2nd wire) of the connector where the green/red wire is in as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get a 1 wire ALT Toss the voltage regulator , be rid of the extra wire mess and never look back
You can get a high out put 1 wire ALT that puts out 2 times the stock 65 amp ALT does

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I sort of figured it out, I got it charging with some help from someone and ran the wire from the alt to the battery to charge but the problem is the inline fuse I have on keeps blowing it's a 20a

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
575 Posts
if the alt is doing 65 or a 3G doing 130 amps in idle, you will need a bigger fues, or do I get you wrong?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what amperage it is, when it does charge it goes to 14volts and slowly climbs before it blows

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
One wire alternator is the way to go, much simpler wiring.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
the fuse is in which cable? The main charging cable that goes from the 3G alternator to starter solenoid or in another cable?

I connected the following out of 3G Alternator

main red cable to starter solenoid
connector:
yellow/white to Alternator main power output (where red cable is connected)
white/black cable to the single pin at alternator
green/orange cable to green orange cable from Bronco

could get rid of most of the spliced cables (part of harness) between alternator and starter solenoid and the 2 connectors (2 plug with green/orange and yellow) and 3 cables (1 black thicker wire - needs to stay and 2 smaller out of the crimp (yellow black and red).
Could as well delete voltage regulator

·
Registered
100 Posts
X2
Grave yard has bolt in one wire alt
Make cable out of welding cable
150 or 200 amp mega fuse depending on the out put amps of the alt you get
It’s. Really 1 wire. (The charge cable)
I have had one for a decade Zero problem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 18 gauge wire with a 16 gauge inline fuse line that connects from the large terminal on the alternator to my positive battery cable, it charges for a minute but then blows the 20a fuse

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
if you have a 3G install a 175 amps mega fuse.

20 amps is even too small for stock alternator, as this puts out 65-75 amps as far as I know.

have a look at the picture what I did:

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,175 Posts
I went with 2 gauge cable with a 200a mega fuse between the alternator and the starter relay, then off the relay with 2 cables... one to the battery, the other to a charge switch for the auxiliary battery. Then off the charge switch to another 200a mega fuse before connecting to the auxiliary battery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Climbing more than 14 volts?
bad regulator
6 gauge or AWG wire will handle up to 100 amps.
it will be enough for sure. 8 would work if the alt is 65 amp or there about. But I like to over size to be safe
You will need a fuse that is larger than the ALT amp out put. 100 amp will be safe.
Mega fuse and holders work good

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Climbing more than 14 volts?
bad regulator
6 gauge or AWG wire will handle up to 100 amps.
it will be enough for sure. 8 would work if the alt is 65 amp or there about. But I like to over size to be safe
You will need a fuse that is larger than the ALT amp out put. 100 amp will be safe.
Mega fuse and holders work good
So I went to the junkyard and found a wire, 6 or 8 gauge I think, and put a 80A fuse into it, it hasn't blown once. But now that it doesn't when blow when I am measuring the voltage it goes 16+ when revving, so I then replaced the regulator again but this newest one just didn't work at all so I need to keep looking into stuff

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I hooked up a good regulator and battery and still received no charge at all, could my alternator have just died?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so I am thinking that I just got the wires mixed around maybe? I know on the regulator there is I A S F, which wire does the incoming power (from cab) go to? where does the orange go to? and where the white with black?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts