Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an interesting problem, I recently got done swapping in a 460 in my 78 Bronco. Everything was working fine as far as the charging system goes. After I did the swap I drove about 16 miles home and everything was fine and decided i better take the wife for a spin. We got about five miles away from home and my fasten seat belt light came on, then I lost my signals, then my radio, and finally my head lights so we hurried home. I thought for sure i lost my alternator so I pulled it took it to napa and it was only putting out 12 volts so they gave me another one under warrantee. I installed the new one charged the battery and have been driving the bronco for 4 days when I was almost home it did the exact same thing first the seat belt light came on then I lost all accessories by the time I got home. I dont have my voltage tester right now but Im thinking its the voltage regulator any advise would be helpful though. Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for the help.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
It sounds like a regulator, but beware... my buddy's rig lost a regulator, and he replaced it several times with brand new NAPA regulators and they didn't work right. I had to momentarily jumper the B+ to a terminal (I don't remember if it was I or F or S) to get it to work. So I got my spare OEM regulator from my pile of parts and it worked correctly.
Now you're going to get the parade of 3G swap suggestions, but I can't recommend it since I haven't done it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do a carefull inspection of the connectors that plug into the alternator. They are known for causing good alternators to go bad. So bad in fact that some rebuilders put new connectors in the box with their alternators.

DGW

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and replies, oldsrocket thats a great write up. I will definatly be doing the 3g swap. My wife is in labor so it will probably be next week before I get to it thanks again!

·
oscar espinoza
1,538 Posts
1 more for 3g....I believe it's the easiest mod u will ever do with no regrets...and if anything goes wrong it's simple to point out and fix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts