Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my stock dash out and made an aluminum one for my auto meter gauges and now my alternater wont charge. Thinking about going to a one wire. Any info would help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
charging

you need the volt meter in the dash(if it has one). not sure why but it must complete the circuit for the charging system.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Get a 130 amp 3G altenator from a 94-95 mustang and follow this link for wiring.

http://bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf

It is a DIRECT bolt on for a 351M-400, mine works beautifully. All you have to do is replace the serpentine pulley with the v-belt pulley from your old altenator.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Which Voltage Regulator did you replace? the one behind the dash or the one in the engine compartment? I'm not sure if there is one behind the dash but I seem to recall from somewhere that there was a VR behind the dash as well for the dash components.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you replaced the gauge pod then the other voltage regulator is gone. It will have no effect on the alternator either way. As it was for the gauges anyhow. Double check your wiring and use a voltmeter to double check the lack of alt. output.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you removed the amp meter from the stock dash, I beleive that all the current from the alternator goes thru this meter then to the battery. If you hooked up your volt meter in the place of the amp meter I am going to guess you fried the volt meter as well.

also when you upgrade to a 3g alternator a amp meter can no longer be used with them.

and I would not use a 1 wire alternator. they tend to have low outputs at idle and if your idle goes too low they will shut off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some one told me that if I hooked up a light to an ignition power source and then pluged it into the illumination port on the volt meter it would come on when I turn the ingnition on then it would turn off when the engine fires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
jopes said:
you removed the amp meter from the stock dash, I beleive that all the current from the alternator goes thru this meter then to the battery. If you hooked up your volt meter in the place of the amp meter I am going to guess you fried the volt meter as well.

also when you upgrade to a 3g alternator a amp meter can no longer be used with them.

and I would not use a 1 wire alternator. they tend to have low outputs at idle and if your idle goes too low they will shut off.
thats what i was trying to say, but there should be a wiring diagram in a haynes manual. look up the charging system and the wire that goes to the amp guage in the dash, hook it up directly to the battery or thru an amp guage and then the battery(i cant remeber if you have to have the amp gauge) that should cure your charging whoes. also i wouldnt advise an 1 wire altenator unless you drive mostly on the road. u have to get the engine over 2500 rpm to start charging at its peak.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
jopes said:

You can use the factory amp meter, you just have to wire it properly.

You are right about the one wire altenator....they suck for 4x4'n.

You also need to beware of some aftermarket altenators....a lot of them are just modifed Delco garbage. Be sure you use a 3G ford if you choose to upgrade.

·
Registered
263 Posts
OK Fellas;

I have all my stuff for this upgrade just waiting to get time to do it, I have read ALLOT on this topic. I got my alternator had it checked to make sure its good, got the new regulator and harness from Ford Fuel Injection place. Got new bigger battery cables the super mega fuse all that stuff. I got the little schematic from the BCBronco to go by for the hook up as well. I keep reading about the ALT/AMP guage issue and all that I already have a volt guage and and I have a new amp guage. What is the best route I should go to install this upgrade? I suck at electrical so just want to do this thing right.

Do I replace my stock ALT gauge with my volt and amp guage? In this post yoou guys talked about the factory ALT guage completing the circut to the alternator, just did not know if I can leave as is or just replace with with the new guages.

Paul

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hooked a light up to the gauge wire and then to a ignition power wire and the light would come on and not got out. I thought that this would start the alt but it never went out like I thought that it would. This was supose to comlete the circut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts