Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do the 3G swap in my 87 Bronco. It has the 351 W and it was still carbed(last yr before EFI on the 351's). The current alt I have doesnt have the stud connections, it has the plastic plugs for everything. Also the positive wire coming from the alt is two wires and they are a small gauge at that. I was wanting to change that around to a stud mount with some meaty positive cables. How much trouble is it to do this? What do I need to look out for?

If anybody has done this and has a write up any links would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys.

Brandon

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,597 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I must have the 2 G on my truck now. I got the 3 G at the boneyard. On the alt I have on the truck now it has two plastic plugs that fit it . The big plug has two blk/org wires that couple together at a fusible link then from there they go to the starter relay on the fender. The big plug also has a white wire. The white wire splits and one goes to the electric choke on my edelbrock carb and the other goes right into the little plastic plug on the alt. The little plug has green,yellow and white coming from it. The white one like I said earlier just loops from the big plug to the little plug. The yellow just ties into the fusible link with the blk/org wires and the green ties into a plug that has like 3-4 wires on it and then goes somewhere. The plug on the new 3G and old 2G alt seem to be the same IOW a direct swap and nothing is needed besides plugged into the 3 G.

With that being said. I am assuming the white that ties together at both plugs on the 2G must be the stator wire that is seperate on the 3G. So I assume it just needs to tie into the white wire on the little plug?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts