Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thats not bad at ALL for rear wheel numbers out of a stock headed motor!!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
hey dumb question where did you get your powerdyne blower? I have looked on ebay, jegs, summit, and googled it many times and can't find anyone that is still selling them? and those numbers are very respectable, especially that torque number:thumbup
check this out, i called powerdyne directly and the guy i talked to must have been in a good mood bc he sold me a blower kit shipped to my door cheaper then he sells them to summit. i paid 1900 to the door. also it was the older style blower, (they have since made great improvements) so after a year and a half it started whining. they took it back and rebuilt it to match the newer blowers for free.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
STOCK 302 with hooker full length headers that was in my f-150 at the time, but is now in my bronco put out 175 to the rear wheels.. I was disappointed, but it was fun all the same.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
This was mine back in 2003.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/bronco/engine/dyno1.jpg
5.8L GT40P heads with bad valve springs

I'd like to dyno my curtent engine before it dies, but I'm embarrassed by the oil leaks it would leave on their floor :cry

Oh well, the 393 is on the way :D
Seeing that your looking at the strokers, any reason why you don't go with a 427? I'm just starting my research on the stroker kits so I really have no idea, but I know you would. :beer

·
Registered
284 Posts
I missed the part where you had a blower when I made my guess. Like everyone else said, those are decent numbers and about all you can expect from those heads. If you want serious power from that motor I don't know if I would fool with the GT-40 heads or not. With a blower I don't see why you wouldn't step up to some AFR's. I think you would get just as good results or better as a clevor.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
537 Posts
AFRs on that thing would spank a clevor I'm sure. But he said he wanted to stick with Iron heads, so that throws a lot of options out the window. For an iron-headed windsor, it's hard to beat a clevor which is why I through it out there.

Bossind: I want to do a 393 just because it's so damn cheap. You probably have enough pocket change to get some used forged 302 pistons. All you need to buy is a crank and some bearings :)

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Bossind: I want to do a 393 just because it's so damn cheap. You probably have enough pocket change to get some used forged 302 pistons. All you need to buy is a crank and some bearings :)
From what I een the kits are the same price for a 393 or a 427, so why wouldn't you go to a 427? I'm sure there is a reason.

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
From what I een the kits are the same price for a 393 or a 427, so why wouldn't you go to a 427? I'm sure there is a reason.
Has anyone seen dyno numbers on a 393? Just curious.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Seeing that your looking at the strokers, any reason why you don't go with a 427? I'm just starting my research on the stroker kits so I really have no idea, but I know you would. :beer
427 pistons don't last long & the block grinding for the 427 crank to clear.

Don't buy a kit! all you need is a 3.85 crank & 1.608 pistons
My 393 plan is:
Keith Black pistons # KB364
Eagle crank # 103513850
AFRs on that thing would spank a clevor I'm sure. But he said he wanted to stick with Iron heads, so that throws a lot of options out the window. For an iron-headed windsor, it's hard to beat a clevor which is why I through it out there.
Who uses cleveland heads these days :doh0715:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WRL-053030-1&FROM=MG

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Ne other reason for those over the GT40-x's other then $$$$$?
is that a question or an opinion :shrug
you must not read or search very well

GT-40X is alum
178cc intake
1.94 1.54 valves

Those Word heads are cast iron
180cc intake
1.94 1.60 valves

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
427 pistons don't last long & the block grinding for the 427 crank to clear.

Don't buy a kit! all you need is a 3.85 crank & 1.608 pistons
My 393 plan is:
Keith Black pistons # KB364
Eagle crank # 103513850
Thanks Bud! I have the 5.8 roller block just deciding how to build it, I think I'll follow your lead. :beer

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Get World Product Windsor Jr heads. 2.020 intake 1.60 exhaust. 180cc intake runner. They're much better than any stock ford. Ford does make a over the counter cylinder head I beleave they are the 351 N head (outlaw nascar heads). They hard to beat also.
You can get eather pair for less than a grand.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
351w blocks are alot stronger than a 302. But big stroker kits are hard on the block. If you put a 347 stroker in stock 302 block it will brake the block. Ive never heard of this happen to a 351W but you need to look in to running a main girdle.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts