Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
351w blocks are alot stronger than a 302. But big stroker kits are hard on the block. If you put a 347 stroker in stock 302 block it will brake the block. Ive never heard of this happen to a 351W but you need to look in to running a main girdle.
I'm using a 5.8L block.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I know yall have 351w blocks. I was talking about problems I have had with stroking 5.0Ls just so that yall are aware of what could happen. 5.8L blocks are alot stronger but yall need to realize the the extra stress that big strokers put on cylinder walls and main caps. I wish yall the best of luck with your projects. Im just giving my 2 cents.:thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
393 can re-use the stock rods, which is a bonus! 347 and 427 srokers are more of a race engine as the oil ring will be over the pin boss. Oil consumption will increase. In any case expect the engine to have a short life if in a street machine. Plus there is more time and money in the block prep.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've been around 347's that got plenty of use in a street car. :shrug

This is one of those topics along the lines of Ford vs Chevy......Manual vs Automatic...........400 vs 460......

·
Registered
656 Posts
I run gt40p heads on my mustang, and i bet they work nicely even with a 351!

My 302 mustang made 275hp/310tq at the wheels with my mild combo....bronco would loose a lot more, but i bet gt40p's, and just an intake would make a huge difference on a bronco...plus there cheap

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you put a 347 stroker in stock 302 block it will brake the block. Ive never heard of this happen to a 351W but you need to look in to running a main girdle.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! If a 347 kit is going to brake the block they wouldnt make it :doh0715:! Obviously it weakens the block because youre boring it out, but there are literally thousands of fox bodies running 347s in daily drivers, and most without issue. These are the same exact 5.0 blocks as in the bronco. And the rule of thumb, at least from what I've read over on stangnet, is that the 5.0 block is pretty reliable, stroker or no stroker, up to about 450fwhp and after that its a time bomb ...and on a second note, imo a girdle will only make it easier to clean up if it blows

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! If a 347 kit is going to brake the block they wouldnt make it :doh0715:! Obviously it weakens the block because youre boring it out, but there are literally thousands of fox bodies running 347s in daily drivers, and most without issue. These are the same exact 5.0 blocks as in the bronco. And the rule of thumb, at least from what I've read over on stangnet, is that the 5.0 block is pretty reliable, stroker or no stroker, up to about 450fwhp and after that its a time bomb ...and on a second note, imo a girdle will only make it easier to clean up if it blows
Ive seen them brake stock blocks trough the main webs and into to the valley. I promise Im not making it up. And Im not the only one that has seen it happen. I guess since you've never heard of it it must be a myth.

I'm not even sure why we are even talking about the 347... I never brought it up.
Im sorry I brought i up.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
393 can re-use the stock rods, which is a bonus! 347 and 427 srokers are more of a race engine as the oil ring will be over the pin boss. Oil consumption will increase. In any case expect the engine to have a short life if in a street machine. Plus there is more time and money in the block prep.
I disagree. Probe and a few other piston manufacturers now have products, rotating assemblies and all, that eliminate the oil ring and piston pin intersection problems. DSS is the first short block manufacturer to come to mind when I think of bulletproof 347s. While it is true they are more of a race-oriented engine setup, the latest ones aren't nearly as bad as the first ones to come out. The increase in rod angle is almost negligible, and the added displacement is well worth the cost.

Having said that, I should disclose that I would personally never use a 5.0L block in a full-size truck or Bronco. I've been using the 5.0L block for years in Fox bodies, and when you compare the internals to a 5.8L, in my mind there IS no comparison. Trucks need heavier-duty parts compared to what you'd use for a car (racing OR street duty). A 5.0L's 2.25-inch main journal is dinky compared to a 3-inch. A 5.8L block is beefier, the head bolts are larger, etc. I don't want to turn this into a 5.0L vs 5.8L debate, because it is not about that. So I'll stop here.

I run gt40p heads on my mustang, and i bet they work nicely even with a 351!

My 302 mustang made 275hp/310tq at the wheels with my mild combo....bronco would loose a lot more, but i bet gt40p's, and just an intake would make a huge difference on a bronco...plus there cheap
The GT40Ps ROCK!!! :rockon I've got those heads, the Lightning intakes, Mustang cam, headers, full exhaust....yeah, ol' Bali boogies. :thumbup In the midst of a MAF upgrade right now....but dreading the fact I'm probably going to need to install 24-lb injectors soon and reprogram the PCM. :cry

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
190 Posts
I always say the more specific, the better, so here goes:
Run Conditions: 79.11 *F, 29.79 in-Hg, Humidity: 39%, SAE 1.00

Max Power= 174.14
Max Torque= 215.68

Truck details: 1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 High Output motor, C6 Tranny (soon to be AOD), 33” Mastercraft AXT, 8.8” rear with 3.55’s.

Engine details: Block bored 30 over, new rods, pistons, polished heads (stock rebuild), 10:1 compression, stock 600 CFM Holley Carburetor (vacuum advanced), 289 Edelbrock performer intake manifold, stock heads, MSD distributor, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6A ignition box, stock Mustang shorty headers, Flowmonster 1-chamber true duals out the sides before the rear tires.

Let me know if I left any major details behind.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts