Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

261 - 266 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,857 Posts
Figured I'd put this here as to not clog up the FOTM thread.

The first day I drove to Twin Falls, Idaho. I was a bit mentally and physically exhausted from the stress of packing up everything into my truck and driving almost 25-year-old vehicle on a super long road trip. I decided to get attraction I had heard about which is how the city actually got its name. So I drove down to dirt road and a switch back, almost driving off the cliff because I was blinded by the sun to get to see this view. View attachment 175694

I don't wanna burst your tourism bubble, but that's a very dry Shoshone Falls. Twin Falls (the actual falls), believe it or not, is no longer a set of twinsies. At some point in history they turned one of the falls into a hydroelectric power plant.

Twin Falls back in the day.

Twin Falls now-ish.

Sorry, lol, I live in Twin Falls, so seeing that gave me an itch that needed scratching. It also makes a lot more sense as to why they named this town Twin Falls when you see the falls as it used to be. I don't blame anyone for thinking Shoshone Falls is actually Twin Falls due to the fact that if you put "Twin Falls" into the google image search, nearly every picture shows Shoshone Falls. Is what it is I guess!

Anyway! The Bronco's lookin' good!

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,857 Posts
Here's Shohone Falls a couple years back. It's usually not running with this much water, as you found out. It's kinda sad seeing how things looked way way back in the day before stuff was being settled. Lots of water flow. When we get a good snow season you can expect stuff like this or more. This year was pretty weak for snow.

Here it is in 1874.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Figured I'd put this here as to not clog up the FOTM thread.

I don't wanna burst your tourism bubble, but that's a very dry Shoshone Falls. Twin Falls (the actual falls), believe it or not, is no longer a set of twinsies. At some point in history they turned one of the falls into a hydroelectric power plant.

Twin Falls back in the day.

Twin Falls now-ish.

Sorry, lol, I live in Twin Falls, so seeing that gave me an itch that needed scratching. It also makes a lot more sense as to why they named this town Twin Falls when you see the falls as it used to be. I don't blame anyone for thinking Shoshone Falls is actually Twin Falls due to the fact that if you put "Twin Falls" into the google image search, nearly every picture shows Shoshone Falls. Is what it is I guess!

Anyway! The Bronco's lookin' good!
Oh I know it was dry. Still cool to see. Gotta remember I'm from kansas city where we have nothing but muddy brown water so seeing much of anything is eventful.

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
I remember one summer when the Shoshone Falls were so low in flow that my buddies and I swam in the waters at the bottom and let the falls splash down on us. It was barely a trickle.

Normally there's so much water you can feel the mist spraying all the way back up when you're at the observatory 200 feet up.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Oh I know it was dry. Still cool to see. Gotta remember I'm from kansas city where we have nothing but muddy brown water so seeing much of anything is eventful.
Oh, yeah, it's still a sight to see even if it's not flowing a lot. My main point was that it's Shoshone Falls and not Twin Falls.

If you're ever here again for a while, you can rent a kayak and go up the river behind Shoshone Falls and get a peek at Pillar Falls. I think you can portage a bit and get to Twin Falls that way as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
The Pillar falls are definitely worth checking out!

261 - 266 of 266 Posts