Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this can give some helpful ideas.

Basically I built this rig in 3 weekends with mostly bronco parts and for less than a grand. (way under a grand)

I started with this for $400 77 3/4 ton Ford no motor

First thing I did was pull the bed off and place in front yard. Then I used the bed as storage for anything that could be sold for scrap.

I cut about 2 feet off of the frame and move the rear axle forward. Notched the frame out for a piece of 3in pipe then welded to frame.

Then I started working on the floor. I used sheet metal from the bed as the material.

buddy showing how no to grind

finished product

Then the motor swap, no tips just do it

Then for exhaust I used Fendwell exit header for a 79 bronco

And bolted the old exhaust from that bronco on but rotated 90 degrees.

The steering was pretty bad in this truck so I swapped a whole collum from a 91 1ton I had lying around. This was an easy swap that only require 3 of like 6 original bolt that held it in place and a grinder. Also use all the gauges from old bronco.

last mod I did was the gate style shifter. Cost 220 but was worth it.

Then I used a 6 gallon boat gas tank wich was 19 bucks and about 6 dollars for quick disconnect gass line to make filling up easy.

After All that I ended up with this for about 700 dollars (I'm not counting parts I allready had), but I got 198 dollars worth of scrap off the truck so actualy about $500 is what it cost me out of my pocket.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
"Speed Kills"

:rofl:

When are you gonna put the RT-IIs on it?

One recommendation, paint the grille pink to match the Bronco :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Speed Kills"

:rofl:

When are you gonna put the RT-IIs on it?

One recommendation, paint the grille pink to match the Bronco :D

I need to take a picture of that sticker.

Man I dont know. I did get the 60 welded up though and tightened all the lugnuts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
it aint got no lights in it..... how you posed to see at night....

·
Registered
82 Posts
man, gotta love the dirt cheap beaters I built one similar for about the same money, I beat the crap out of it then parted it out for twice than what i had in it after having a lot of fun with it.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Nice ol' beater! Now go beat on it daymnit! :beer

·
Banned
495 Posts
Looks like a real rig you could take to the extreeme and not give a damn about! LOVE it! keep up the good work!

·
Registered
712 Posts
last mod I did was the gate style shifter. Cost 220 but was worth it.
Is that a B&M shifter? How easy is it to reach it there, looks a bit too far out to the right for comfortable shifting... asking cause I'm thinking of putting one in my truck, which is a daily driver, and I'd hate to have to reach way out there to get to the thing. Also would you happen to have a picture of this shifter with the bench seat installed? Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that a B&M shifter? How easy is it to reach it there, looks a bit too far out to the right for comfortable shifting... asking cause I'm thinking of putting one in my truck, which is a daily driver, and I'd hate to have to reach way out there to get to the thing. Also would you happen to have a picture of this shifter with the bench seat installed? Thanks!
Its the B&M z gate style shifter, I believe(got at summitracing.com). Its actualy pretty close to the bench when in first gear, although it might be a little far to the right for someone with short arms. I like this style alot better than the rachet shifters. I'll take some pictures next week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's sad to see an old pickup get cut up... did u scrap the hood, bed, and doors?
no, it was sad to see this truck when I got it. The hood is in pretty bad shape but I still got it. I'm going to put it on pins for easy removal. As for the door I still have then but I dout they will go back on.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
no, it was sad to see this truck when I got it. The hood is in pretty bad shape but I still got it. I'm going to put it on pins for easy removal. As for the door I still have then but I dout they will go back on.
you should sell what you have to some people on this site who might need it. Good cheap build though. I bet its fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
no, it was sad to see this truck when I got it.
that aint no joke. i still can beleive you took apart a running driving bronco for this hahaha its great. for real though, but some plexiglass in the back and front. i know you wouldnt wanna sling mud all over yourself or a passenger while off roading :toothless

btw did you make it out to 47? i presume not since you didnt put the tires on

edit: take some pics of the crossmember and the frame in the front

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never made it to 47 got sick from some yahoo that came to my place with the flu. I'll take some more pictures later.

Bronco_kid- Nothing was salvagable, that I didn't use I overpaid at $400, seriously. The frame is held together with some channel iron bracing because the crossmembers are notched for e-brake cable clearence.

edit- look how the e-brake cable is run in the second pic from the top.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Its the B&M z gate style shifter, I believe(got at summitracing.com). Its actualy pretty close to the bench when in first gear, although it might be a little far to the right for someone with short arms. I like this style alot better than the rachet shifters. I'll take some pictures next week.
I love ratchet shifters, not having a kickdown kinda makes it necessary to be able to shift gears manually without hitting too low or too high. But th slapsticks are the same length as this one anyways, so if this fits good so will a Megashifter. I may actually tilt it towards me a bit, and I'll definitely replace the T-handle with an 8-ball, but other than that it should be a good setup, me thinks.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Pretty ghetto redneck, but whatever works. Looks like it would be fun as hell to beat the crap out of.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts