Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First let me start by saying how grateful I am for everyones knowledge, bloody knuckles and expierences. My cheap bronco SAS would not have been possible without this site. I have torn out the TTB and am ready to start on the front and rear hangers, but I have a question. I have a set of front leaf springs from the 1989 F350 which came with the Dana 60 and I have a set of rear bronco springs. Now which one to use, and depending on which ones to use does that depend on where I mount the rear hanger on the frame. I'm thinking of using the f350 springs just for the fact I will in the near future convert the bronco to diesel ( I already have the 7.3 did powerstroke and tranny) just need to do the axles first. Can someone who has done this before provide me with a dimension from front of frame horn shackle pivot hole to rear of shackle pivot hole, and also how far in did you weld the front hanger on the frame horn. Thanks in advance for everyone input.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well since no one decided to reply? I went ahead and started. Here are more pics of my conversion. The only question I have is do you guys think the axle needs to go back about 1/2"? i got so excited to start, I forgot to measure from center of rear axle to center of front axle before starting. Let me know. Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
From the looks of the tire placement in that first picture I would move it forward more.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,810 Posts
Bigger tires have issues with rubbing on the firewall. Especially if you run the shackle at the back of the spring since the tire always travels towards the shackle end of the spring on up-travel. Set the axle 1" forward of the stock location.

It looks to me like youre pretty close to the ideal spot already, but its hard to say w/o any measurements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can someone get me measurements, overall front to rear, center of rear shaft to center of front shaft?

Ill take measurements tomorrw? what measurements do you guys want to see?

Thanks,

·
I'd rather be sleeping
665 Posts
can someone get me measurements, overall front to rear, center of rear shaft to center of front shaft?

Ill take measurements tomorrw? what measurements do you guys want to see?

Thanks,

I would be interested in seeing the measurements, too. It would be useful info.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Just center the axles in your wheel wells where you want them, every body does it a little diferant. I moved my coil buckets as far forward as I could by trimming the front corner off and moved the rear back 1".

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
take a look @ my thread, has some measurements in there any Q's just ask:beer

·
Registered
264 Posts
On our build we went 2.5" forward & cut the Bronco to fit. 1980 BKO Flares worked out well with the stretch. It really improved the approach angle. Still might have to trim the bottom of the flare depends on tire selection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well made some progress so far, I had to work twice on the rear hanger supports. I went to the boneyard and picked up a set of F450 rear front hangers, but I didnt realize the frame is perfectly straight on those trucks and our bronco frames have the bend inward so angles were wrong. I wasted 2 days with these hangers. Whats new, always a day late and a dollar short. I ended up making my own supports, now I just have to weld the 4x4 square tubing to them and im back in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
few more pics of shackle angle, let me know if this is a good angle before I weld the bracket tomorrow. she is sitting on her own weight. I also did more the axle forward a bit 3/4"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i am not speaking from experience here, only from what i have heard and read but i am pretty sure that your shackle is a little flat. from what i have learned, it should be closer to a 45 degree angle which looks like you need to move the rear hanger back some...i think you are close, tho

hopefully, someone with some hands on exp will chime in....

·
Registered
153 Posts
A good number is about 30 degrees, and i would gusset the square tubing to the flat steel piece. Also might fish plate the side of the tubing to the side of the frame.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts