Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has done cheap upgrades that are close to free or less than 10 bucks.Something like the magazines do at the end of thier magazine articles.Show a few quick tips or cheap buys.:thumbup

·
No avatar required
10,958 Posts
Since the cup holders in my 79 are very shallow, I took a mounted a water bottle holder from a bicycle to my t-case shifter.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I used some nylon strap from the fabric store, 1 nut, 1 bolt, 2 washers, and 2 screws to make a limiting strap for my console lid.

I was gettign scared tht someday a friend or myself would open it and let it drop to hard and it would break the door right off the plastic.

It worked like a charm and cost me under 5 bucks.

I dont have pics, but if you want em, I will post em tonight.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Timmy said:
no good mod is under $10!
I totally disagree. I LOVE stuff like this, and I love it when the mags do stories like that.

But to stay under $10, it usually just involves *removing* stuff.... stuff we don't need on the trail anway. Like sheetmetal LOL!

As already stated, remove your swaybars. Move your rear shock mounts up so they're no longer boat anchors (could probably convince a welder to do this for $10 if you cut them off). Trim your bumpers, trim your sheetmetal to fit bigger tires.

If you have dual front shocks, one of them most likely restricts droop. Figure out which one and remove it. If you shop right, you can do a rear shackle flip for $10...... but you're on your own for lifting the front!

Install an altimeter. Install a compass. The cupholder one is good too. Mount a MagLite in the truck. Run additional 12V power ports.

One of my best tools is my valve stem core tool, about $2 and I'm done airing down before those with $80 contraptions.

Stuff like that. Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I have a few more:

buy some wire loom and loom all your wires under the cab.
There are a lot of wires that Ford decides they would leave exposed just waiting to be grabbed by sage brush so loom them and then strip tie, or tape them up as high as they can go with out limiting anything

If you are lucky, vent line extensions can be done for real cheap.

Or, go to the local pick & pull with a big coat on. (Helps to go in the winter) and then stuff as much crap as you can in your pockets, then buy a 10 dollar item :toothless :toothless

wrap your intake hoses with heat reflective tape.

If you already have a FIPK then relocate the air temp sensor into the tube, or like Bronkzilla did it in the top of the air filter like it was stock. (Great job BTW Raf)

Remove one quart of atf from your transfer case, and then fill one quart with B&M Synthetic Trick Shift.

If you listen to the radio then buy an FM amp. They are usually under 10 bucks and they work well in most regions. Nothing like listeing to Bob & Tom at the camp site!!!

If you have a subwoofer in your ride, then buy some door insulation and warp a little in between the console door, and the console.

Remove your interior screws one at a time, then dip them in silicone and rescrew them back in. It will help prevent them from backing out, and it will help them from squeaking.

You can take a empty 2 liter bottle and fill it half way with cold or warm water depending on the season.
You will then have something (warm/cool) to lean your head on when working under the rig in the winter/summer

Put your tools in old socks that are in your metal toolbox, to prevent the annoying clanging sound you get when driving on dirt roads.

If you dont hae them already then buy some GOD DAMN tow hooks and install them.

I am sure i will think of a few more

·
Registered
389 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
Since the cup holders in my 79 are very shallow, I took a mounted a water bottle holder from a bicycle to my t-case shifter.
Roll of duct tape. :toothless

·
No avatar required
10,958 Posts
Tried it, but I forgot it was on the console lid and flipped it open. :banghead

Kids learned a new phrase after I did that, rhymes with I'm a trucking dumbass

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Beerman said:
If you dont hae them already then buy some GOD DAMN tow hooks and install them.
There ya go. That's the most important one right there.

Also, ya know those little things sticking down from the framerails? Assembly line dowels, I believe....ya know, the pointy object that nearly put a hole in your head last time you were under the truck? CUT 'EM OFF!

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Keith_L said:
There ya go. That's the most important one right there.

Also, ya know those little things sticking down from the framerails? Assembly line dowels, I believe....ya know, the pointy object that nearly put a hole in your head last time you were under the truck? CUT 'EM OFF!
AMEN BROTHA!!!!!

I hate those damn things, they stab me in the back every time.
Just been to lazy to cut em off....:duh

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I thought of one. Cut off that plastic skirt that runs off the bottom of your front bumper. Unless you really like it, it serves no purpose and will be pull off on the trail.

·
No avatar required
10,958 Posts
SMOOTH said:
I thought of one. Cut off that plastic skirt that runs off the bottom of your front bumper. Unless you really like it, it serves no purpose and will be pull off on the trail.
But it looks purdy!!

Why bother cutting it off, one good puddle and mine was gone from my 88.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts