Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone school me on mp3 players.

Wait, let me back up a bit. I got a $100 walmart card from work, so i was thinking of getting one of these fancy things for road trips or wheelin trips. First up, im not really interested in an Ipod, my wife has one and Eh, its ok i guess, but quite frankly, i want it to play music, i couldnt care about videos or games or whatever these things do these days. So i was looking at some of the smaller cheaper ones but i have no idea what to get. i dont want some big fancy 30g or 80g or 100-whatever-gig, a 1gig is plenty of music for a road trip. I also am capable of breaking anything, so i figure a cheaper one wont hurt so much when i drop it and break it, like i did the old Shuffle i got for free last year :toothless

All that said, any suggestions? Are those cheapys really worth it or should i just get an ipod shuffle or something?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Sansa makes good cheap MP3 players. I had a Sansa Clip and a Sansa Fuze and they both worked great. Had good sound quality and weren't expensive at all.

Now that I have my iPhone however........... I don't even know where it is anymore :p

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Not to be too obsessive about Apple, you might want to consider an ipod classic. The ipod touch is indeed too many things when you just want an mp3 player. However, the ipod classic is just music. Very simple and efficient, and cheaper...

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
i have an ipod touch, but i also have a cheap little rca mp3 that does notthing but play music, cant even set a playlist, whatever song you start it on, it keeps playing from there. less than 50 bucks at walmart, about the size of a zippo lighter and takes sd cards. also its got somekind of rubberized outside, like the cheap nextel phones. Its durable as hell, i used to keep it tied to the dash of my bronco and used one of those belkin fm transmitter things and played it over the stereo.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Dad has this little mp3 player that has the headphone output and is a usb storage device he can plug it in to my usb port on my stereo in the bronco and play the music he's recorded. It's cool only thing is I can't tell you how much or where to get it because he found it in a car at the JY and picked it up in a what the hell moment kinda deal.

·
oscar espinoza
1,538 Posts
Ur best bet is to get a stereo than can read a USB flash drive.. I gotine for 120 and it's great. And they make flash drives nearly indistructable. I've actually ran over mine and the case broke but it still works

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
I got an Ipod Nano 8 gig. I put a hard plastic protective case around it, cuz I break everything. Its lasted me a year +. Probly 150 with unit and case...

The thing I DONT like about the ipods is the need to use itunes to manage your music. Hate it as a matter of fact.

Bought my buddy a cheap MP3 player from Walgreens (yup, thats right bitches!) for like 40 bucks. Its great. You plug it in and move your mp3s directly onto it. Done. No playlists, or fancy features, but you can skip from song to song or scroll through your music....

What I am sayin is, I think you got the right idea staying away from the mp3s that use proprietory software to manage their music lists...

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
I have a real simple Phillips I used for a summer while landscaping. Small, used a standard 1/8" jack, and had 2 gig of internal memory, even handled video. A single battery charge lasted me a full day (non-removable battery). If I remember right it was only around $40 and that was 2 years ago. It still works fine even though it has been passed on to my daughter.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Mp3+Player+SA3025&cid=16499133292199036161&ei=JBraS7DxO6bw2wSXvcWJDQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Sansa Fuze here. Keep an eye on www.woot.com. They're on there all the time for less than $30.

·
Your mom gagged on my
1,664 Posts
I have an 8gb iPod nano video. Bought it used off Craigslist for $75. The thing is indestructible!!! It's been ran thru the washin machine while playing on 4 separate occasions. It's also been dropped countless times over the past 3 years and still works like the day I got it. ;)

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I use my phone for my music storage now. I had a Fusic from sprint it was a goofy little phone but it had an FM transmitter built in I loved it but it became outdated quickly and I wanted some other features.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
FYI- there is a cig lighter adapter that you can plug in and tune into a specific radio station and play all your music through your speakers.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Find a used ipod would be my suggestion, but you want to use the gift card...

I have one of the original ipod videos and it still works great. all it does is go from my truck to the garage to the firehouse to play though stereos. i beat the piss out of it and it still works

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Another vote for Sansa! I hike with the clip and use fuze for the gym. Rugged as hell. My only gripe with the clip is batt life. I wish it had more, but for the size what can you expect?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, 4 votes for a Sanza, thats more than everything other than an Ipod. Gonna have to research these further.

Both headunits in my trucks have aux inputs, and both plays mp3s so i could just burn a cd full of songs and rock out for 8 or so hours (usually do) but thats not the goal. The goal is something to plug into the aux jack on the tape deck (yes i said it) in my beater zuk cuz tapes suck and i refuse to put a stereo in a doorless roofless beater. Its also handy in the garage so i dont have to bring cds out there.

The thing I DONT like about the ipods is the need to use itunes to manage your music. Hate it as a matter of fact.

Bought my buddy a cheap MP3 player from Walgreens (yup, thats right bitches!) for like 40 bucks. Its great. You plug it in and move your mp3s directly onto it. Done. No playlists, or fancy features, but you can skip from song to song or scroll through your music....

What I am sayin is, I think you got the right idea staying away from the mp3s that use proprietory software to manage their music lists...
You hit the nail on the head. I do not like Itunes, the whole program just annoys me. I especially dislike that i have to use it. im just not an apple person i guess. Being able to just plug it in and drag & drop mp3s on it is my kind of device.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
I love the Clip for ease of use. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to set up playlists, because I have everything from country to hard rock and sometimes I want to listen to either one or the other and sometimes I'll go from some slow country song to some Shinedown or Metallica, haha.

I have the 4gig and just updated with more songs and I have almost 600 songs on it now and I think its just a little over half full, plus it has a slot for a microsd card.

This is the one I have. [They come in red, blue and black.] There's also a 2gig and 8gig version.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Blue/dp/B002MAPSC6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272638704&sr=8-9

I love Amazon for "shopping" and reading reviews, but one thing I always keep in mind with reviews, take them with a grain of salt because some people are picky assholes that will nitpick every little thing and make it sound like shit. Most people are idiots, haha.

I got the Clip for my sister in law for Christmas and liked it so much I got one for me and my brother. The thing I like most about it, my old Memorex cheapy MP3, would take FOREVER to load the songs every single time I turned it on, but once the clip updates the music list, its good to go. It also has a voice recorder on it...haven't used it yet, but plan on it, because I always think of things when I don't have anything to write notes on, so you can make voice recordings....or even exhaust sound recordings, haha. The FM tuner on it is pretty decent, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B001H9O6QW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272639198&sr=8-1 <-- Updated version with better descriptions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts