Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running these??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3077847&_nd1=&submit.x=609&submit.y=81&_fvi=1

http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29

I like the E-bay price, but the second link has 175 cc intake runner, which I'd rather use for a crawler.

Was going to use a set of C9 windsor heads I have but locally it would be 560$ for hardened seats and a full valve job. Just does not seem worth it unless heads like those listed above are just total crap. Seem perfect for rig that will see approx 10 days of running time per year, tops.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What about aftermarket cast iron like the world product heads?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Do a search over on corral.net in the 5.0/5.8 tech section.
Things might have changed in the last year, but the lack of quality control seems to be the biggest issue.

They're cheap knock-offs of edelbrock's aluminum heads.

Also do a search on tri-state(your second link)...I cant remember if it's them or not, but at some point there was a company that was buying these heads bare, assembling them in house(better parts), and making sure a better product goes out the door.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was tri-state.

If you wanting to go aluminum, you can always brouse through the for sale section over there...It's massive, and there's always used aluminum heads listed. Mustang guys go through parts like they're going out of style. You might come across a better set of TFS, or Eldebrocks for right around the same price you're looking in.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Mustang guys go through parts like they're going out of style. You might come across a better set of TFS, or Eldebrocks for right around the same price you're looking in.

.... .... to true... to true. to bad my parts are all 4.6. kind of a on going trend.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Are these Chinese castings? I think it was the "Typhoon" intakes that were Edelbrock knock-offs cast in China. I'm wondering whether it's the same situation.

As to us Mustang guys going through parts...yeah, I have enough to build probably about three or four whole new cars. :brownbag

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Are these Chinese castings? I think it was the "Typhoon" intakes that were Edelbrock knock-offs cast in China. I'm wondering whether it's the same situation.

As to us Mustang guys going through parts...yeah, I have enough to build probably about three or four whole new cars. :brownbag
That's exactly what they are. They're chinese knock-offs. That part doesnt bother me. Money is money. If I can find something cheaper that is quality, I'm gonna buy it regardless of what name is stamped on it, but with the heads, I remember seeing a bunch of people who found them to be poor quality.

With the intakes, It doesnt seem like theres conclusive enough(imo) evidence to say that they're inferior to the edelbrock's that they're copying.

Ethically it's pretty f*cked up, but that's life.

Found these also...........

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1478917/tp/1/

but for another 300$, could just go with edelbrocks.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...DL-60259&N=700+400065+300002+115&autoview=sku

May just do that, 300$ (lesss if you add 42$ shipping for the cheapo heads) is not a lot more and I don't have to worry about the quality (hopefully).

Not to interested in used heads. Never know who did what to them.

If you dont want to go used, I'd save up a little more and buy either TFS or Edelbrock, and be done with it. They're both proven, so there'd be no worries.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i did a bunch of research on the chinese edelbrock knock off intakes and found what derrick did, the intakes really aren't that bad.

I ended up buying some used afr 185s off of corral. I could have gotten some dirt cheap TFS or edel heads, but i was wanting something a little larger so i held out.

i guess it just depends on what kinda of quality control issues they have with those heads. if the ports are just a little ruff or require some gasket matching it might not be that bad. If the heads need a few thousanths knocked off to get them flat....probably not a good deal

you should try em out and tell us how they work :toothless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts