Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a edlebrock carburetor 650 cfm and I am just now getting around to fixing my AC and got it vacuum tested at a shop and it help. So now I need to fill it with Freon, but the reason he did not do it was he was worried about the idle dropping to low and dying when the AC turns on. My problem is I don’t want to pay $180 for a small little solenoid if there is another option.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Since you have an Edelbrock carb it is the only choice you have. I don't believe the Holley solenoid and bracket will fit and if I recall it is high priced too. You might find one that Ford used on it's carbs might work, but I think they have long since been discontinued.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you have an Edelbrock carb it is the only choice you have. I don't believe the Holley solenoid and bracket will fit and if I recall it is high priced too. You might find one that Ford used on it's carbs might work, but I think they have long since been discontinued.
How much does the compressor effect the idle.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Probably around 2-300 rpm. A lot! Then add full lock power steering and you have a stalled motor. Just raising the idle with the stop screw is a bad idea. It will always idle high when the AC is not on and can be like having your foot on the gas when you are stopped.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ye
Probably around 2-300 rpm. A lot! Then add full lock power steering and you have a stalled motor. Just raising the idle with the stop screw is a bad idea. It will always idle high when the AC is not on and can be like having your foot on the gas when you are stopped.
Yeah and it would keep running a little when I turn it off. So I guess the only way is to either turn it off every time I come to an idle or spend $180.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I took it to the shop over the weekend and he did some timing and fuel mixture adjustments and it does not do that anymore.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,139 Posts
Bingo!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an 83 with the 300 six, a MC2100 carb and a manual NP435. I installed aftermarket AC on the truck and do not have a fast idle solenoid for the AC. On my truck, once its warmed up, the AC pulls the idle down ~150 rpm. I simply run the the idle at about 750 rpm and I don't worry about it. Its free and hasn't bothered me enough to worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts