Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me say this right now...I dont have the money for a nice bumper.

I'm looking for the cheapest/easiest way to get 1 or 2 solid hookup points for my 95 FSB. Are there any simple/easy ways anyone has figured out? I have no problem cutting a hole in my front bumper if necessary. I would like to at least leave it on, but if it needs to come off to get some solid points I guess thats acceptable. I have a friend with a welder so if anything needs to be welded I can get that done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Cheapest? A double end hooked tow strap, and the two cut out points just before the crumple zones on your frame. Its where I hook whenever I get stuck.

There was a writeup on how to do this with the 92-96 front frames i think, or maybe it was just something someone did on a thread. Someone just built a nice drop bracket, and put the hooks on that. Took a little bit of fabbing, but probably would be fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MikE2, thats somethin that I was looking for. How do you get that nice little flange going around the perimiter of the hole?

Are there already holes in the frame or am I gonna have to drill some?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve83- I'm looking for something a little more permanent. Thanks though!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Steve83 said:
Get a tow/snatch strap with twisted eyes, a couple of good shackles (D-rings), wrap the strap under the bumper over & around the frame horns, & use the shackles to connect each eye back onto the strap. Open the hood & lay the middle of the strap across the grille in FRONT of the radiator, & close the hood. When you need it, it'll be clean & in easy reach. When you get home, hose off the underside, remove the shackles, let the strap dry overnight, & store it for next time.
That explanation makes no sense to me at all. Do you have a picture of what you're trying to explain?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Ah well. I'm just going to box the front frame stubs together and put hooks on them through the bumper, myself.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a front reciver hitch that look like it is welded right to the bumper would this be ok for a winch or should i reinforce it to the frame behind the crumple zone?
the plastic that runs under the bumper is pulled back around the back of the reciever don't pay any attention to that i have allready moved it.
i was thinking of fabbing some brackets to weld to the reciever and bolt them in to where the sway bar connects to the frame behind the crumple zone. would this work to make the bumper strong enough for a winch?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
That hitch is not what I would call a good tow point. The stock bumpers are weak and held on by only 8 10mm bolts. You will break something if you tug off that hitch

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Cut bumper, drill frame, bolt hooks, line hole in bumper with fuel hose. Cost < $20. It's been covered in detail before.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, I'm gonna go with the hooks with the holes cut in the bumper.

If anyone can find where its been covered that would be awesome, I tried searching but i just come up with tons of material that is taking forever to sort through.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I thought putting hooks at the end of the frame (at the crumple zone) was a bad thing?

And what the hell are D rings? I hear about them all the time.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
1995Bronco said:
Thanks MikE2, thats somethin that I was looking for. How do you get that nice little flange going around the perimiter of the hole?

Are there already holes in the frame or am I gonna have to drill some?
The trim was just a piece of 3/8" square bar that I formed in to shape and welded in place.
You will have to drill holes through the frame, do it on the inside of the rail because yur bolting the hook to the frame, and the bumper bracket. Theres about 1/2" of steel there to drill through. Also I used the hooks that have 3 bolt holes because they are longer. The front hole I welded up, then grinded everything smooth, then heat treated the hook again. That way it comes out a little farther towards the bumper.

Steve83 said:
Get a tow/snatch strap with twisted eyes, a couple of good shackles (D-rings), wrap the strap under the bumper over & around the frame horns, & use the shackles to connect each eye back onto the strap. Open the hood & lay the middle of the strap across the grille in FRONT of the radiator, & close the hood. When you need it, it'll be clean & in easy reach. When you get home, hose off the underside, remove the shackles, let the strap dry overnight, & store it for next time.
That will **** the bumper up The bumper brackets are held on the the feame by 12 or 14mm bolts, but the bumper itself is only bolted on to those brackets with a 6mm or 8mm fender bolt. Plus the bumpers are so thin, they don't take much weight to pull them up. I know because I bent mine up from having a strap hooked up like you said.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
baldkrys said:
I had the same idea but I went with reciever hitch so I could put D rings in.

yes, but you don't need the whole receiver hitch, you just need to find a place that sells 1" flat bar, and be able to handle a 1/2" drill and hole saw careful, and you can do this:

end result:

·
Administrator
22,854 Posts
Shadofax said:
yes, but you don't need the whole receiver hitch, you just need to find a place that sells 1" flat bar, and be able to handle a 1/2" drill and hole saw careful, and you can do this:

end result:
I still drool over this sas swap....:rockon

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
redwagon said:
I still drool over your ass....:rockon

fixed it for you

1 - 20 of 40 Posts