1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
My dad had a $400 mitre saw that lasted about half an afternoon after he told me it could cut metal too... oops. I doubt they're worth the money at all

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i got the cheaper one and so far alot of cutting and a couple years of use it is still ok. if you got slow and steady it is good if you want to go fast and alot of use the higher dollar one or better name brand might be better. i just tossed my $10 4 1/2" angle grinder after 6 years of use...the cooling blades broke of sometime last year and it was varaing speeds and alittle out of ballence but it worked great for $10. i replaced it with the $49 (on sale) 9" grinder and cut 450 spear points of the in laws fence.....mike

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the 100 buck Harbor freight one. It cuts fine but it doesn't always make angles perfect. If your just going to make straight cuts you might be ok. I would definately recoment getting a higher end cutter. You will be happy in the long run

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Ive got the cheaper one, ive had it about a year now and have used the poop out of it but it has been through three sets of brushes in the electric motor and seems to be on its last leg. I would have to say ive gotten my $$ out of it but i am going to upgrade for my next one. I would get the more expensive one it looks to be more sturdy

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I bought the $50 one and it's a POS. I can do better with my HF 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel. I didn't listen when others said not to waste my time, maybe you will.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Check the local pawn shops. They always have power tools and some are fairly nice. Just make sure you know what it's worth before you pay for it as some places mark stuff up so much it's not worth it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
forgot to say when i bought mine it came with upgrade liftime warrenty on certain parts. If you really want a kick ass saw get a millwalkee or dewalt cold saw i use one at work and cut though 2x2 1/4 wall in about 10 sec the saw cost about 600 and the blades 200 but damn if had the money

·
Registered
772 Posts
90Beater said:
I bought the $50 one and it's a POS. I can do better with my HF 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel. I didn't listen when others said not to waste my time, maybe you will.
:stupid I bought one and returned it the next day. My 4 1/2" Milwaukee grinder was much quicker than that piece of junk.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
buckin88 said:
forgot to say when i bought mine it came with upgrade liftime warrenty on certain parts. If you really want a kick ass saw get a millwalkee or dewalt cold saw i use one at work and cut though 2x2 1/4 wall in about 10 sec the saw cost about 600 and the blades 200 but damn if had the money
The dry cut Milwaukee is around $420
http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-14-Dr...ryZ43599QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the blades are anywhere from $40 for a Freud on Ebay to $130 for the OEM Milwaukee Endurance blade. And yes, they're sweet, love mine.

Grinders, it's hard to make square cuts in anything but plate or sheet goods. Sawzalls have a place but the blades will quickly get spendy if you're cutting steel. An abrasive chop saw has it's place for sure, if you can't afford the dry cut. Band saws good, too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I now have a DeWalt that is badass for tubing and stuff but I lasted a long time on the $100 one from Harbor Frieght, just need to replace the main shaft support bearing about once a year depending on use... about $3 at any bearing store

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
collinsperformance said:
i got the cheaper one and so far a lot of cutting and a couple years of use it is still OK. if you got slow and steady it is good if you want to go fast and a lot of use the higher dollar one or better name brand might be better. i just tossed my $10 4 1/2" angle grinder after 6 years of use...the cooling blades broke of sometime last year and it was varying speeds and a little out of balance but it worked great for $10. i replaced it with the $49 (on sale) 9" grinder and cut 450 spear points of the in laws fence.....mike

Ditto!!!! I did all my body work cutting and grinding with a cheap Firestorm cordless sawzall and a $10.00 angle grinder. That was the best $10.00 I ever spent. I figured if it would last a month I got my moneys worth out of it. 5 years later it is still there and still works fine. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a safety switch that cuts it off if you drop it, so keep something like this in mind when buying tools.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/108161/fullsize/bronco-0034.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts