Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you stan the man for pointing out that it does not appear lifted. I want to check it out just too see how much BS he is spewing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Even IF it had the 460 and the lift...I'd still give him $2500 tops...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh im not saying the price is way too high, just thought it was cool that he got it to smog.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it was a swap from a FI 460 rig, it shouldn't be too hard to pass as long as he kept it pretty stock. I don't remember the exact rules here in our glorious state but I believe it would just have to smog to the year of the engine. But the engine cannot be older than the year of the truck. He'd have to visit a smog referee I'm sure...I bet there's a thread on here somewhere about this...

·
Registered
199 Posts
it would not pass smog.. no matter how clean it is. It is the same concept as the CAT situation. My friend wants to put a 460 or a 347SC and it will not pass smog (numerious shops have stated this)

i do not know if it is different per county basis...but being in the bay area (more liberal than most of this state).....he is full of BS

but i have been wrong before.......i am only basing my facts on what my buddy wants to do to his 5.0 mustang...........

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
it would not pass smog.. no matter how clean it is. It is the same concept as the CAT situation. My friend wants to put a 460 or a 347SC and it will not pass smog (numerious shops have stated this)

i do not know if it is different per county basis...but being in the bay area (more liberal than most of this state).....he is full of BS

but i have been wrong before.......i am only basing my facts on what my buddy wants to do to his 5.0 mustang...........
Few glad a read the bottom part before flaming you, you have to search and let your buddy know he needs to do the same.

78moneypits squeezed a 97 460 into his 78. Took it to a referee who simply changed the smog label on the truck. Now he can smog it like normal. OK there was more work then that...

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
The siz of engine that can be put in depends on the GVW of the truck. The 78 broncos are the only ones that can leagaly get a 460. they had a higher GVW then the rest, I read somewhere that it may have been a mistake by ford.
I'm sure a search will provide more as I've seen it here before.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah those shops that are telling him no just don't want to do it...if he goes to a referee and gets the sticker properly changed, they just smog it to whatever the engine is out of. But I do know that the engine can't be older than the vehicle...

·
Registered
199 Posts
thats great chexmix....91's never came with a 460.......78 and 79 broncos DID...so therefore he could pull that move of putting a EFI 460 versus the carbed 460...........ya there are ways to beat the system and cheat....but a good shop will know what year trucks/cars came with what kind of engines

so you can flame all you want....wouldnt get you anywhere

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
thats great chexmix....91's never came with a 460.......78 and 79 broncos DID...so therefore he could pull that move of putting a EFI 460 versus the carbed 460...........ya there are ways to beat the system and cheat....but a good shop will know what year trucks/cars came with what kind of engines

so you can flame all you want....wouldnt get you anywhere
Down boy! Said I wasn't flaming you, plus I'm one who probably flames the least here. Unless I'm rocking the runway, oh yeah! :goodfinge

Heres the start of your searching, the brief idea (because it's not clear here) but you can build almost anything.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm EDIT: I don't like that link, info sux, check here too: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8_Smog.html

Sorry if that didn't come across...

·
Registered
199 Posts
sorry if i came off a lil strong chexmix.......bad day i guess?! but i know you can do anything to any car/truck.....just keeping it "legal" in this state is a pain in the ass. 460 would be bad ass....but the 5.8 is cool for me

have a good rest of the week

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
78/79 broncos did not come with 460's
yea didnt think so

78moneypit was able to smog it because the GVW was high enough to be tagged as a F250 for smog, as I undertand it. Which is what the engine and trans came out of.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
78moneypits squeezed a 97 460 into his 78. Took it to a referee who simply changed the smog label on the truck. Now he can smog it like normal. OK there was more work then that...
The size of engine that can be put in depends on the GVW of the truck. The 78 broncos are the only ones that can leagaly get a 460. they had a higher GVW then the rest, I read somewhere that it may have been a mistake by ford.
I'm sure a search will provide more as I've seen it here before.
I talked to him personally about this. Ford messed up the GVW on the 78 year ONLY, so legally it is not a half ton, therefore you can put a larger engine in it. 78moneypit has a FI 460, he had to move that engine, with all its original smog equipment, and original tranny (E4OD in this case) into his 78 and have it re-registered to pass the smog requirements for the year vehicle he got it out of (mid-90s) so it was far from easy. As far as I know the 78 is the only year this loophole exists, meaning big block in any other year, simply wont happen legally.

78/79 broncos did not come with 460's

:stupid

·
Registered
328 Posts
he also had to swap over the dash so the speedo and computer would talk to each other. basically everything that made the doner truck run is now in his bronco and he had to make multiple trips between the ford dealer and the referee station. they even gave him crap about the part number of the computer he used. ford had several of them but the ref's papers only showed one. He had to get a letter from ford that the computer was correct for the engine / year etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts