Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I run my own business out of my home which includes caring for my brothers with disabilities. I had originally been looking for a diesel centurion roughly a year ago, then found my C150 for a good deal, picked it up. Then ran across my diesel C350, and now sort of have an "extra" centurion. I planned on lowering it a bit and making it my staff vehicle, but with the axle setup upfront it's going to be hard to get it lower than 4"/33s. So...i've been tossing around the idea about getting a slightly smaller vehicle for my staff members to drive, and for room for growth. I really need a vehicle that can haul 5 people easily, as occasionally me/staff members may have other individuals with disabilities that need to be transported....

Found a E350 local. It's a '92 with 460 EFI. Looks pretty decent, was bought from Saturn of Denver in 09/2005 from the owner currently. Was previously owned by the city of denver used to take kids to go water rafting, etc, etc i guess. The seat/interior setup is different, but convenient for what I would be doing. It has power locks, windows, mirrors, etc. Decently equipped. Has 124k on it, not too shabby

Has interesting seating, they all recline and owner is checking to make sure they all work today. Tires are OK, but wouldn't hurt to be replaced. Battery needs replaced, but that's not a biggie. I can get it for under 1500 bucks easily...sounds like a decent deal? it books out a bit higher, and lights above every seat and ALL captains chairs is pretty neat, and would be comfy for taking a handful of individuals fishing, etc. The rear seats were removed prior to the dealership buying it for gear, but...I'd rather have more cargo room anyways. They said the tranny shifts well and never noticed it leaking..i'm mainly concerned with the E4OD. I may go check it out this afternoon...

Whatya guys think? I've been toying around with the idea of selling my C150, and if I could sell it and at least get what I have in it, then it'd leave me with a lil bit of cash and with an 11passenger E350...

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are good vans, but they eat ball joints. My dad had one as a company van, it needed ball joint and front tires twice a year. Other than that it was a great truck.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My dad bought a brand new 92 E-150 back in 92. It was a great truck. Didn't have the 460. It had a straight 6 in it...maybe the 4.9? Not sure. He drove that thing everyday for about 8 years, and put about 300,000 miles on it. It held up well.

He recently went out and bought a new 2007 Chevy Express. I liked the ford way better. Besides the looks and comfort, the ford held up way better and just seemed stronger.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts
My dad bought a brand new 92 E-150 back in 92. It was a great truck. Didn't have the 460. It had a straight 6 in it...maybe the 4.9? Not sure. He drove that thing everyday for about 8 years, and put about 300,000 miles on it. It held up well.

He recently went out and bought a new 2007 Chevy Express. I liked the ford way better. Besides the looks and comfort, the ford held up way better and just seemed stronger.
the Express vans are pretty good. we didn't have too many problems with them at the chevy dealership i worked at. i got to test drive a few 08 models with the 6.6 duramax diesel and they seemed pretty solid. it didn't have the 6 speed allison and it was slow as shit but it's a good engine.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
check for body rot, and radius arm bushing rot, also checkthe rear spring hangers for rot.

body- just behing the drivers doors to the rear wheel wells is where it comes first
and then the normal front end parts fall off, but good vans.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check for body rot, and radius arm bushing rot, also checkthe rear spring hangers for rot.

body- just behing the drivers doors to the rear wheel wells is where it comes first
and then the normal front end parts fall off, but good vans.
Went and test drove it today, the battery needed jumped and powersteering fluid was out, it whined like a beeoootch :doh0715:

The tires on the front are OK, no abnormal wear, ones in rear are needing replaced, all 4 have probably been on for a while, just sitting, as they have a bit of rotting going on.

I didn't see any body rot going on at all, checked front end and nothing looked out of whack, got it up to 70 and it ran good, cruise worked, tranny shifted well and fluid looked good. The engine ran fine, and exhaust wasn't rotted out. Didn't check the radius arm bushings/rear spring hangers but didn't notice any bad rust at all surprisingly in the undercarriage. The van had a tiny bit of surface rust/paint peeling at the top of the van right above the rain gutters, and a tiny bit of surface rust on the hinges..nothing horrible, paint isn't actually too bad.

Seemed decent, engine ran well, didn't leak any while sitting running or seem to have leaked any fluids at all prior. Those vans sure don't leave shit for room upfront though, looks like a pain in the ass to do anything, and intake looks HORRIBLY restrictive :shocked

The lady was fawkin nutz. She was wierd as hell. She has an autistic child and was receiving services from one of my affiliates in the area and was bitching about the case manager (didn't realize the same lady which she was referring to was my Mom :histerica). She was quite a nut job, they bought the van for the occasional usage+"tornado chasing". They're from CO and moving back shortly...so, they want the van gone, i should be able to get it for 1200 or less, seems to be at least worth that much with engine/tranny.

I offered her 800 and she said no, and didn't counter offer. I explained with a new battery, new tires, and at least power steering fluid (my guess is it wouldn't hurt to put a new PS pump in there from the sound of things) that that would run at least 800 bucks retail..almost the price of the van. Anyways, i asked her what she would take right now, and she countered with 1300 after quite a bit of mental deliberation, those Hippie Crazy lady gears smoking.

We'll see...doesn't seem like a bad van, and has 124k on the clock, interior is in good shape, runs good, and tranny shifted very nice. I guess then I'd own every engine combo besides a straight six offered in the 92-96 body style :toothless

Edit: Just noticed this "gem" on ebay...quite the nice vanBadass Van

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
We'll see...doesn't seem like a bad van, and has 124k on the clock, interior is in good shape, runs good, and tranny shifted very nice. I guess then I'd own every engine combo besides a straight six offered in the 92-96 body style :toothless

Edit: Just noticed this "gem" on ebay...quite the nice vanBadass Van
I think the 92 and up vans have a lot fewer issues with rust. The van on ebay would probably run forever but it would continue to rust out

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plan to do every maintence item in the book. You know they didn't do a damn thing to it.
They owned it for 2 years, and went on one big trip with family i guess in it. It looks like basic maitenance was taken care of. Oil was clean too! no leaks, so must have been new oil.

They bought it sept 05 from Saturn of Denver, whom had bought it from the City of Denver, so..probably was well maintained as a transport vehicle for the city.

I think the 92 and up vans have a lot fewer issues with rust. The van on ebay would probably run forever but it would continue to rust out
It was a joke...that van looked a lil overpriced and beatup :toothless

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
They are pretty durable in comparison to what else was offered that year. I had a 93 E250 cargo (no windows) with a 351 for one of my old jobs and that sucker saw the high side of 405k without a problem. I think I once went 40k without an oil change. I know the engine was original but the trans was changed at 258k right before I got it.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are pretty durable in comparison to what else was offered that year. I had a 93 E250 cargo (no windows) with a 351 for one of my old jobs and that sucker saw the high side of 405k without a problem. I think I once went 40k without an oil change. I know the engine was original but the trans was changed at 258k right before I got it.
That's some hella miles, they seem like decent platforms, and should last pretty well. Does need a bit of work, but doesn't have a rotted body or run bad, had lots of getup and go, and pretty low miles for a big van from 92.

We'll see...if she'll let it go for 1000 i'll get it for sure, it'd be worth my time/money swapping a different set of tires on it...it would give me an excuse to throw some decent rims on my C350 n throw the crappy ones on the van...might look a little funny with no hubs in the front, but oh well :toothless

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,982 Posts
Holy crap that '87 has the same dash setup as my '79! Didn't the vans get the 80-86 or 87-91 interiors?

Adrianspeeder

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Holy crap that '87 has the same dash setup as my '79! Didn't the vans get the 80-86 or 87-91 interiors?

Adrianspeeder
No. The 75-91 bodies pretty much had the same dash. The only thing that changed was the gauges, from silver to black.

The 92-96's that I see around here have the typical rust out along the rockers, over the rear wheels, and on the roofline (usually because of ladder racks). Very good platforms, just watch the balljoints. IIRC, it should have dual piston front calipers.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to the owners again..they still haven't sold it and are moving back to Colorado within a week. They replaced the battery at least, and said they'd sell it for 1100 now with the battery...don't think I could go wrong with it..the 460/E40D are worth bout that in cores haha

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Needs blacked-out windows on the sides and rear so you get this effect:

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Needs blacked-out windows on the sides and rear so you get this effect:

I'll get right on that :toothless

I've never owned a 2wd truck/van. The bolt pattern is 8x6.5, so my rims on my C350 should swap straight over? They just won't have hubcap centers and such currect? I'm not a huge fan of the rims on my C350...and wanted to swap to some alcoas or something similar with new tires when i get the chance, as the 305's on currently suck for traction, Goodyear Wrangler ATS or something.

Here's a pic of the rim...the rims on the van are mismatched a bit, and are fugly...any chrome would make it look quite a bit better.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Make sure you get all the fluids changed and all the point lubed on them. Watch the ball joints as said before. We h8ave those at work and the wonder alot on the road and god forbid a cross wind hit you in that thing. good luck man the seat set up is cool on that thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts