Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states, is there anyway to check tie rod ends without them being on the truck?

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check them for what?
Checking for excessive wear, worn out etc.. axle is out of the truck and the steering is out as well.. I dont want to replace more than i have to, working on my 76 and looking at what needs to be replaced up front...

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
Just grab the stud and move it around. Its a ball in a socket, so it should move freely, but if you can pull it straight up and down, that would indicate its worn out. New grease boots can be found in the Help! section at your local parts store.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just grab the stud and move it around. Its a ball in a socket, so it should move freely, but if you can pull it straight up and down, that would indicate its worn out. New grease boots can be found in the Help! section at your local parts store.
Ya i figured I would just stick them in a vise then use a crowbar to see if they move vertically... was just seeing if anyone else had some super awesome test procedures

·
Registered
267 Posts
If there already out I would just replace them and be done with it, TRE's are not that expensive and then your sure their good.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there already out I would just replace them and be done with it, TRE's are not that expensive and then your sure their good.
unfortunately these are off the 1976 bronco... and to replace all the steering is $370+ shipping.. looking at converting to a earlier t-style setup as its a bit cheaper and i dont have to special order stuff..

So iam trying to figure out if some of these TRE's are good so i only replace the bad ones..

·
Registered
267 Posts
According to my books here, if you were to go back to a 75 everything should be available locally. I wasn't aware this was a 76 earlier.
for the 75 to 66:
rh outer es391r
adj sleeve es2012s
lh connect rod ds767
drag link ds812

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to my books here, if you were to go back to a 75 everything should be available locally. I wasn't aware this was a 76 earlier.
for the 75 to 66:
rh outer es391r
adj sleeve es2012s
lh connect rod ds767
drag link ds812
No worries, this is probably the route i will take, this truck will never see the anything offroad besides a dirt road, but want something that I can find locally if I hit a curb, ice etc. and bend or brake a TRE.. the Y setup is nice and all and if serviceable I will probably continue to run it. This early bronco has already ate up allot of my fullsize money ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts