Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what kind of axles would be under a 4wd 1 ton chevy van?

Some guy wants to trade me a van and I'm trying to figure what its worth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the axles any good for swaps ? If they were I'd torch them out and set them aside before I junk the van if they are nothing special I'd pass on the deal

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Are the axles any good for swaps ? If they were I'd torch them out and set them aside before I junk the van if they are nothing special I'd pass on the deal
once again...not on a ford product...the front pumking is on the wrong side..unless of course you are going to change the transfer case also....

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
If he's offering you a heck of a deal it might be worth it to part out, but as far as stuff that would be useful for a Bronco you should pass.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Check it out and see what side the pumkin is on. A lot of 4x4 van conversions had driver side diffs. The engines are offset to the passenger side so they would use ford axles for the swaps. Unless the van has a lot of lift I would bet it is a driverside diff.

Another thing is that the van 14 bolt full floaters are 70 inches wide. This works really well with a dana 60 front axle that is just under 70 also. GM axles are usually narrower than the front axles except in the vans.

I would still check it out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the deal is he has 2 of these 1ton vans. He is building the good one up into a monster mudvan with 9 inches of lift i guess and 40 inch tires the other van is for parts.

He says he has to move them from where they are and while he was at my house he noticed I have a flatbed trailer.

So he says if you tow both vans out of where they are you can have the parts van. So I agreed because he lives right around the corner and I thought the vans were nearby.

He called me tonight and i find out the vans are on cape cod its 50 miles 1 way to where they are from his house. :banghead

He is coming over to buy some bumpers from me tomorrow I'll ask him what the axles are exactly. It seems like something is fishy about the whole deal if hes putting 40 inch tires on and has a spare set of axles in hand why wouldn't he keep them in case he breaks something?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,746 Posts
Sounds fishy. If it actually has a D60 front, you could probably sell it for 650-800 since its low pinion. 14 bolts are great, but arent worth anything. So it seems to me that it cant be a D60 front, cuz itd cheaper for him to give you $100 for the tow vs the profit you could make selling a D60.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to him today he said the rear is a 14 bolt and the front hes not sure but its definitely a passenger side drop. The van is a 1978 so i guess it would be a dana 60 if it was factory.

He seemed like he knew less about it than I do. Which is pretty bad considering that until it was pointed out to me I didn't even know that chevys had the front driveshaft on the wrong side.

The dude is a little touched in the head anyway he's buying a ford rear bumper and a grille gaurd off an F250 from me and fabbing up a front bumper for the van with them.

If the chevy dana 60's are worth that much whats one from a 79 F350 worth?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Sounds fishy. If it actually has a D60 front, you could probably sell it for 650-800 since its low pinion. 14 bolts are great, but arent worth anything. So it seems to me that it cant be a D60 front, cuz itd cheaper for him to give you $100 for the tow vs the profit you could make selling a D60.
you beat me to it Kev....

Chevy 60's don't bring the dough as ford 60's do, and 14B's are a dime a dozen at the junkyard.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,746 Posts
If the chevy dana 60's are worth that much whats one from a 79 F350 worth?
That is the #1 most desireable D60 for a 'wheeler; ive seen them sell for as much as $800-1200. I had all sorts of people trying to buy mine as soon as i got it for my truck, it was crazy.

Id get a real good look at that axle if its froma 78, who knows what Chevy used in their vans back then, could be a D44. Could even be IFS for all i know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the #1 most desireable D60 for a 'wheeler; ive seen them sell for as much as $800-1200. I had all sorts of people trying to buy mine as soon as i got it for my truck, it was crazy.

Id get a real good look at that axle if its froma 78, who knows what Chevy used in their vans back then, could be a D44. Could even be IFS for all i know.

Well you might have just made my day cuz I just bought an F350 3 weeks ago for parts. I wasn't sure if it was the original axle though because I found a reciept for an axle from a junkyard behind the seat.
Judging by the fact it has a broken U bolt on the rear I assumed it wasn't the back.

The truck is a goldmine in other ways too, the interior is pretty sweet the first uncracked dash pad I've seen in a long time . Too bad my interior is blue but I 've half a mind to use it anyway.

Look at the crazy see through visor on it:shocked

Attachments

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
If that really is the factory front I would be interested in buying. PM if so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts