Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going back and forth about my console options in my 86. I have the original console and I have even swapped out for deeper cup holders, added power ports....it's still only slightly better than nothing. I have looked around at a lot of different consoles from various vehicles and most of the problem i run into is the height...those for a lot of the newer vehicles are really tall, i guess because of the lower humps in the floors on newer vehicles and the taller seats in a lot of them. Then i remembered the console out of the 88-94 suburban and extended cab chevys. It has a nice heavy duty padded lid, that i like the way it opens to the side, has the little tray that sort of served as a rear cup holder, had big enough cup holders and a nice slot to hold a phone and it looks "period correct" if you know what i mean. Has anyone ever seen one in a bronco? I have done a google search and didn't see any.

Rectangle Gadget Gas Plastic Communication Device

PS...im no wood worker, i see you guys building some really snazzy consoles, but id ruin 500 bucks worth of wood before i got one built half as good as some i've seen.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,254 Posts
The consoles out of Expeditions work really well. I have one in my 95 and the top of the storage compartment sits just below the seat armrest

Reactions: klh95bronco

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The consoles out of Expeditions work really well. I have one in my 95 and the top of the storage compartment sits just below the seat armrest
Don't those go all the way to the dash though? I have the floor shifter for the 4wd and my 86 dash is a lot more spartan than the 95. I don't want one that goes all the way up to the dash, it messes with the aesthetic on these bullnoses. Thats just me being picky.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,254 Posts
Don't those go all the way to the dash though? I have the floor shifter for the 4wd and my 86 dash is a lot more spartan than the 95. I don't want one that goes all the way up to the dash, it messes with the aesthetic on these bullnoses. Thats just me being picky.
Yes they do, in a 95 it blocks off the power point and ash tray which kinda sucks. I didn't realize the Chevy one is shorter. A lot of guys on here have put in many different types, I'm sure they'll chime in

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,838 Posts
My $0.02... If you're going to the trouble of adapting a center console from another vehicle, go a step further and make it double as a jump seat. I have nearly as much storage space in it as the OBS center consoles, it has better cup holders, there's the compartment up top for small stuff, and it doubles as a perfect height, padded arm rest when folded down.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
PS...im no wood worker, i see you guys building some really snazzy consoles, but id ruin 500 bucks worth of wood before i got one built half as good as some i've seen.
Neither was the P.O. of my 94. My 94 came with a home made console that I tossed in the dump. :)

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My $0.02... If you're going to the trouble of adapting a center console from another vehicle, go a step further and make it double as a jump seat. I have nearly as much storage space in it as the OBS center consoles, it has better cup holders, there's the compartment up top for small stuff, and it doubles as a perfect height, padded arm rest when folded down.[/

Never mind…saw the link.

Finding things that look right with these older big sofa looking seats has been tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 XLT 5.8, 33 inch tires, 15 by 10 MTs
7 Posts
I have been going back and forth about my console options in my 86. I have the original console and I have even swapped out for deeper cup holders, added power ports....it's still only slightly better than nothing. I have looked around at a lot of different consoles from various vehicles and most of the problem i run into is the height...those for a lot of the newer vehicles are really tall, i guess because of the lower humps in the floors on newer vehicles and the taller seats in a lot of them. Then i remembered the console out of the 88-94 suburban and extended cab chevys. It has a nice heavy duty padded lid, that i like the way it opens to the side, has the little tray that sort of served as a rear cup holder, had big enough cup holders and a nice slot to hold a phone and it looks "period correct" if you know what i mean. Has anyone ever seen one in a bronco? I have done a google search and didn't see any.

View attachment 196311

i used a ford console from an ( if I remember) 08 truck. Great part it it’s the same height as my arm rest which I don’t use anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
363 Posts
Got a spare 92-96 style sitting in the storage unit in NJ. Ended up getting the cloth EB captains chairs and a spare console for $300 cash a few years back. Doesn’t have the black inserts for the cup holders, but I’d gladly part with it for say, the rear cup holder and ashtray out of a 92-96. It’s good condition, shows signs of use, but not busted.
Shoe Automotive design Automotive tire Font Chair

·
Registered
‘95 Bronco XLT 5.0 E4OD, MAF——‘95 F150 XL 4.9 M5OD 4x4, SD
447 Posts
I did this to mine several years back. I could have done a much better job but I still like it. Peel and stick rubber tread/step grip from TSC, rural king etc... helps keep stuff from sliding off and looks good IMO. Also put some in the dashboard top trays. Ignore the mess...
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,496 Posts
I have considered a different console as well, but I just like the look of the factory console in all of its cheap plastic looking vastness. It just fits the era of the truck. I even considered using a 92-96 style as i had an 85 & 96 Bronco at the same time & the newer console was definitely much nicer, but they just dont look right in the older trucks to me.

I think I may make something to set it at a hieght more in line with the armrests, a riser or sorts & maybe place a sub/amp underneath, but something so it is not so low, but overall, I go right back to, I just don't like anything else I see placed in there as a console, they just look wrong for the truck in my opinion.

The giant open area inside of the console could use some compartments so it's not just a bunch of unused space that things collect in, but I'm nowhere near that point on my build, but thats sort of my plan on addressing this console, improving, but keeping it factory looking.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a tan chevy console on the old ebay in really good shape with free shipping for a really good price. It may be stupid looking when i try it, but it was too cheap to not at least give it a go. If not, ill stick it in my bin of failed ideas, it's getting full.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I kinda like it…good cup holders, good divided storage, some rear cup holders.

Only thing to do is put some 1” spacers under the rear mounts OR put a small block of wood under the carpet then screw the rear into the block.

·
Registered
‘95 Bronco XLT 5.0 E4OD, MAF——‘95 F150 XL 4.9 M5OD 4x4, SD
447 Posts
For being non stock I think it looks pretty at home with the tan EB seats. Is it lower in the front than the back or is it just the seat that is that high in the front? Not sure if it’s that or just optical illusion in last pic.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For being non stock I think it looks pretty at home with the tan EB seats. Is it lower in the front than the back or is it just the seat that is that high in the front? Not sure if it’s that or just optical illusion in last pic.
It slopes a little to the front, it’ll be a little more level once it is mounted as I had something temporary wedged under the rear of it. They sat a little sloped in the chevys.

I think a 95-99 Chevy console would look good in place on a 92 up interior.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,889 Posts
I like the looks of the Tuffy consoles in the bullnoses. And i like mine, except on the hottest days where it can fry an egg.

I think that chebby console fits and looks great. Take pieces of wood and shim it up until you like the spot. Then make a solid one piece shim and mount it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts