Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been doing some research and saw that someone has used chevy leaf springs...I was looking at the price difference between ford and chevy leafs in the 8-10" and its about 250-350 dollar difference....Ive heard that in a certain year,chevys came with 3" wide leafs and 52" long...Now my question is what year was it?Ive called a few off road shops and they said that the leaf springs are 3" and the mounts and 2.5" at the axle....Should I just weld on new 2.5 spring perches onto the 60 to save a few bux or go with ford leafs and save myself the headache?All and any info will be greatly appreciated!

Jon

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
The driver side is cast into the pumpkin, and will have to be grinded down for the 2.5" leafs... The pass can just be welded on the tube.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so chevy leafs never came in 3"?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
RaisedIIPerfection said:
so chevy leafs never came in 3"?
I can't answer that question but I have one of my own.

How much lift are you trying to gain?

The springs I'm using are STOCK HEIGHT rear Blazer spring and they are giving me about 10" of lift. They are 2.5" wide. I trimmed the cast spring perch on the pumpkin to make the narrower wight work (it wasn't that big of a deal).

FYI-I'm running using a 78/79 Dana 60 and running the spring on a 32" spacing and the spring are under the frame.

Current pic

Older pic's with a longer shackle and no pan hard bar or ram

FYI 2- These springs offer plenty of wheel travel. I'm limiting the travel to about 11".

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help dogomut!!!!It is greatly appreciated...

I want to have atleast 14" of lift to bring me where i was with my dana 44 and 11" national coils...What do you suggest?Ill be making my own front leaf spring hangers but i dont want to make a huge drop to it...Im going to make it look OEM as much as possible

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
RaisedIIPerfection said:
Thanks for the help dogomut!!!!It is greatly appreciated...

I want to have atleast 14" of lift to bring me where i was with my dana 44 and 11" national coils...What do you suggest?Ill be making my own front leaf spring hangers but i dont want to make a huge drop to it...Im going to make it look OEM as much as possible
Glad to help.

If you want to run the same type of spring as I am and don't want huge drop brackets and long shackles to obtain 14" of lift I'd suggest using 4" lift springs and a 4" shackle. It's not OEM but it would be the right way to go.

Be sure to cross reference lift kits to the springs since the ones I used are rear springs and some kits that use new rear springs also use a 2" block. What I'm getting at is the rear lift used in a 6" Rancho lift kit are 4" lift springs and a 2" block.

Also plan to use a pan hard bar if you are going to use 2.5" rear designed springs. They are soft and the springs alone won't be able to locate the axle. I'm running one myself, with great resaults, and the addition of 4" of lift you plan to add will only make the springs abality to move latterally greater do to their added leverage at that height.

FYI- I went with these springs because they are the longest I could find with a non-offset center pin. You might be able to gain more lift using rear stock Bronco springs since they are offset and have a deeper arch. Plus they are 3" wide. You'll have to pose that question to one of the people running that set up. I don't have any spec's on it.

Good luck and ask all the question you need. I'll be glad to help as best as I can.

-Scott

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Scott,
Once again thanks for the info....I was going to go with front 8" superlift leaf springs from a chevy at first but from the sounds of it,it will give me almost 18-20" of lift...

Now that I know what size leafs i need to go with,I think i might just go with the superduty 4" or 6" front leafs...The only reason i was going with the chevy leaf springs was the price difference between ford front leaf spring and chevy front leaf springs...THe difference was almost 300 bux between the two.

So how much lift would i get with a 6" superduty leaf?and would you recommend it?

Thanks again Scott

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have stock super duty springs on my truck, and I think they gave me about roughly 7-8" of lift. So im guessing 6" springs would give you around 14".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts