Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally making some progress on the swap. The rear is still sitting too high (as I figured it would be), and the rear axle is a little too far forward (from the sky shackle flip). I think I'm gonna move the front crossmember back about one inch to make for a better shackle angle on the front. Needless to say, I'll be getting creative with the sawzall in the very near future :toothless Still have to trim the excess material from the front xmember and various other small things (like making some steering).

Here are a few pics, sorry for the quality, its kinda dark out any my digital sucks.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STUPID said:
Awesome, five of the same picture :thumbup
fixed that, sorry :whiteflag

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
That looks pretty big

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks really cool, cant wait to see it completed:thumbup

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ToddACimer said:
That looks pretty big
Yeah, but I'm thinking alot of that comes from the height of the tires themselves. I'm guessing I got about 8 inches of lift from the chevy leaf swap, which is 2 inches more than I already had. The rear is simply sitting too high from the combination of 6" skyjacker leafs and the sky shackle flip... Gonna have to figure out what to do about lowering that some, maybe remove a leaf from the leaf pack, and get the shackle angle straightened out (its almost vertical right now, horrible angle). So all in all, I should be working with about 8" of lift, which is gonna require some pretty extensive cutting. But yeah, its still big :D

85bronc said:
I didnt know you could make your own shackles like that! lol duhhh smart idea!
Yeah, not much to shackles. I'd like to take the time to put a cross section in there, like an "H". Those are 6" from center-hole to center-hole. Still gonna round off the corners and paint them too. I am just glad to actually see it sitting on 4 wheels again (not to mention the 1 tons :toothless )

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
that front driveshaft looks pretty mean just hanging down like that- i say keep it.
you can skuwer animals while you wheel- then get you a fire goin and have dinner on the trail.
ace

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SquattyD said:
you should get creative with the sawzall on those u bolts.
Oh I assure you I will be. These pics were taken right after getting the axle hung. I don't want to trim the ubolts until I make sure I won't need an angle block to get the pinion angle set right. (i haven't even checked it yet).

SquattyD said:
also, i would connect each side of the shackle to each other. brace that shit.
JahWarrior said:
Yeah, not much to shackles. I'd like to take the time to put a cross section in there, like an "H".
:toothless

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
The shackles look a little long. It will allow the springs to twist more then the bushings will be happy with. If you keep them that length, I'd reccomend putting a cross brace on the shackle to box in one side of it to keep deflection to a minimum.

If you choose to move mounts, I wouldn't move the front cross member back. I'd move the shackle mounts forward. With out my bump stops in place and a 4.5" shackle (eye to eye) my 40's can easily press into the fire wall. But the current angle isn't all that bad.

I'd reccommend that you pull the bolts out of the spring clips. The springs can flex so much they will bind on the bolts and put a kink in the main leaf.

Keep an eye out for suspension steer. You may find you'll need to add a pan hard bar to keep things in place when turning.

Put some gusset's on the crossmember to the frame and 1 on at least 1 side of the mounting tabs for the front hanger...especially if the material is less the 3/8 material.

:thumbup

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dogonmut said:
The shackles look a little long. It will allow the springs to twist more then the bushings will be happy with. If you keep them that length, I'd reccomend putting a cross brace on the shackle to box in one side of it to keep deflection to a minimum.
I was debating shortening the shackles a little. It would allow the shackle angle to move back (ever so slightly), and at that length, it does look like it has a lot of leverage on the shackle mount / bushings.

dogonmut said:
If you choose to move mounts, I wouldn't move the front cross member back. I'd move the shackle mounts forward. With out my bump stops in place and a 4.5" shackle (eye to eye) my 40's can easily press into the fire wall. But the current angle isn't all that bad.
I've got the shackle mounts welded in pretty good already, would be a real PITA to move them forward. I really kinda like the approach angle the way it is, so I'll probably see if shortening the shackle some will help the shackle angle. Like you said, its not terrible, just not quite where I wanted it.

dogonmut said:
I'd reccommend that you pull the bolts out of the spring clips. The springs can flex so much they will bind on the bolts and put a kink in the main leaf.
Good call :thumbup

dogonmut said:
Keep an eye out for suspension steer. You may find you'll need to add a pan hard bar to keep things in place when turning.
Yup, plan on putting one on after I have the steering done (so I can get the angles as close as possible).

dogonmut said:
Put some gusset's on the crossmember to the frame and 1 on at least 1 side of the mounting tabs for the front hanger...especially if the material is less the 3/8 material.
All material is 3/8 or better. Still will add gusseting, as well as boxing in the frame behind the shackle mounts.

dogonmut said:
Thanks, and thanks for the detailed writeup and pics from yours, it totally made mine a lot easier :beer

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Larston said:
If you intend to get any flex out of that front axle, you're gonna find out in a hurry why front fenders get so minimal with those tires :toothless
Yup, can't wait to see the look on the wifes face after I'm done with the sawzall :shocked :histerica

1 - 20 of 38 Posts