·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wisconsing man on verge of putting millionth mile on his 1991 Chevrolet

Associated Press

Created: 2/1/2008 11:34:27 AM
Updated: 2/1/2008 11:34:46 AM

MEDFORD, Wis.- A Wisconsin man says his trusty pickup is on the verge of making history.

Frank Oresnik says his 1991 Chevy Silverado is about to pass the 1 million mile mark.

He says the truck is 1,200 miles from a million. He plans to retire the vehicle once it hits the milestone.

Oresnik credits proper maintenance and luck for allowing the truck to roll up so many miles. He goes in for the oil change and tuneup every 3,000 miles.

He bought the Silverado in June 1996 after the original owner put 41,000 miles on it.

General Motors and Shell are said to be interested in examining the engine.

And then
----------------------------------

Chevy Silverado reaches 1 million-miles

Associated Press

Created: 2/12/2008 10:42:23 AM
Updated: 2/12/2008 10:42:40 AM

GRESHAM, Wis.- Frank Oresnik's trusty Chevy Silverado pickup truck has passed the 1 million-mile mark. A camera crew was on hand to film the event on Friday in southeastern Wisconsin. The truck could be headed back to General Motors or Shell Oil.

---------------------------------------------

Doesn't say whether the transmission was original, which if it was automatic would be VERY hard to believe. However, by the way the story is written, it appears the engine was original and had reached 1 million miles with no significant rebuild.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
interesting

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I wonder how many sets of tires he put on it

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Did it say what this guy was using the truck for? The numbers are kinda tough to believe....

1,000,000 - 41000 = 959,000 miles that he had it.

divided by time, in months (140 months from June '96 to Feb. 08)

= 6850 miles every month, = 228 miles driven every day, 7 days a week, 365/yr.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Did it say what this guy was using the truck for? The numbers are kinda tough to believe....

Mathematically that's a tough to do. Even at 18mpg that's almost 13 gallons of gas a day. Even if he averaged $2 a gallon thats $25 a day in gas for 12 years. $111,000 in gas minimum

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
you know.... i betcha the damn guy did something like in Ferris bulers day off. ya, know. jack up the back of the truck, put it in drive and put a brick on the gas pedal. Just kept pouring gas in it every 3 hours or so. ha. some people have WAY too much time on their hands.....

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
you know.... i betcha the damn guy did something like in Ferris bulers day off. ya, know. jack up the back of the truck, put it in drive and put a brick on the gas pedal. Just kept pouring gas in it every 3 hours or so. ha. some people have WAY too much time on their hands.....
Probably... there's some wack job chevy owners out there...

i bet if it was a ford there'd be no doubters here
:rolleyes:

:goodfinge :histerica

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Reminds me of when Al Bundy's car almost made it to 1 million miles before it got totaled out.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
You could alway just take the speedo cable out of the tranny and put an electric motor on it for a few months.
hah, that reminds me of a story

this emt got a ticket for speeding in his unit, he tried to get the service's owner to pay the ticket, the owner refused even though he'd unhooked the speedometers to keep the miles off the rigs for for resale:rofl:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I heard an interview with the owner, and he uses the truck every day to deliver fish from chicago to the UP MI.and all around wisconson. He also said he lets the truck warm up for 20 min every time he drives it, winter or summer to get the oil to temp before driving.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I heard an interview with the owner, and he uses the truck every day to deliver fish from chicago to the UP MI.and all around wisconson. He also said he lets the truck warm up for 20 min every time he drives it, winter or summer to get the oil to temp before driving.
:stupid

I read the artical on yahoo. I wouldn't doubt he really did drive it that far, some veheciles just run good for a long time if you take awsome care of them. Unlike most people, he changed his oil at least. I think I read he put 7-8 sets of tires on it and constanly changed the oil. Pretty neat that something can last that long. But I bet the motor is about wore out though.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
one of the few gm's ive heard alot of good about....

my brother's got a 92 firebird 305 700r4. needs a tranny, but its at 200k. more then ive got on any of my vehicles.

it still drives, but if you get on it, it slips like hell, straight to abou 4,500. good thing its down in the flatlands... lol

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
That's a lot of highway driving. It's 400 miles from Chicago to the top of the UP, I've done that drive many times.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts

what about leap year?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
one of the few gm's ive heard alot of good about....

my brother's got a 92 firebird 305 700r4. needs a tranny, but its at 200k. more then ive got on any of my vehicles.

it still drives, but if you get on it, it slips like hell, straight to abou 4,500. good thing its down in the flatlands... lol
200k out of a 700r4 not to shabby
if he get's it rebuilt see if the shop will put the corvette valve that allows WOT shifts:toothless

1 - 20 of 35 Posts