Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy gave me a pair of hooks from his old blazer, they are beef and appear to be very easily found
i set about installing them
(forgive the few pictures, it was dark and a rush job. when i clean the bronco up i'll get a pic from underneath)
  • first i measured from the ground to the frame
  • then i used that measurement to mark the top of my cut on the bumper
  • then i figured out how wide i wanted to go and drew lines, no real method to it i picked where the bottom lip changes to just inside the frame
  • then i cut the bumper with a cutoff wheel (that's an older rotozip tool, worked really really well:rockon)

• then i used a 1/2" bolt with washer on each side and a lock washer through the hook and a preexisting hole in the frame, then used a pair of vise grips to clamp the hook to the frame
  • then i center punched and drilled a pilot for the front bolt
  • then i drilled it out to 1/2" and bolted it on (i couldn't get a washer on the inside of the frame on the front holes)
they stick out a little, and there's just enough room to get my strap on them,

if anyone wants a picture of some aspect of it lemme know

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
With them mounted that far out you could use them as steps for working under the hood or for hooking people in cross walks, or even grabbing shopping carts at the mall and pulling them home.

Practical yes, mounted in a good place no

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Practical yes, mounted in a good place no
i'm all about practical:thumbup,

it was the easiest place i could figure out with the least cutting on the bumper(spent 30mins on my back one day just looking), i also figured they may help protect the bumper from walls or smaller cars:rofl:

they actually make an okay step

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I thought they looks cool sticking out like that..

Todd you thinking they might cut out some ground clearance?
Hahah, ground clearance is one thing but where's the approach angle? The front bumper is 4" too low and too far forward and the hooks make both those worse

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahah, ground clearance is one thing but where's the approach angle? The front bumper is 4" too low and too far forward and the hooks make both those worse
i don't have the $$$ to get a bumper made right now, so i make do with what i got, plus i think keeping it more or less stock can be cool in it's own way

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
I give you an A++++ for installing hooks...you would be amazed how many people that have asked me to yank them out but had no way to even attach a strap to their vehicle.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I give you an A++++ for installing hooks...you would be amazed how many people that have asked me to yank them out but had no way to even attach a strap to their vehicle.
i didn't want to be that guy.
with hooks i can help others help me, and just help others,
i may see about flipping them over so they angle up instead but they may be too close to the bumper

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hooks are better than nothing.
Worst part about the chevy hooks is they break kinda easy.
They always break in the same spot.

We sit around and scratch our heads and figure if you bent a piece of rebar that followed the same contour as the hook and welded it on they might not break so bad

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hooks are better than nothing.
Worst part about the chevy hooks is they break kinda easy.
They always break in the same spot.

We sit around and scratch our heads and figure if you bent a piece of rebar that followed the same contour as the hook and welded it on they might not break so bad
In your experience, where have the GM hooks broken? Have you tried the rebar weld?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In your experience, where have the GM hooks broken? Have you tried the rebar weld?
if i had to guess they probably break where it goes from the hook part to the flattened mounting part, i would hope they'd bend before that though:shocked

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
ancient thread, but I figured I'd post here rather than make a new thread.

I just picked up a set of these at the Junkyard today...they were ez to find, and the most abundant ones out there.

Have you had a chance to use yours yet? Have they broken? How have they held up?

I think what I'll do for mounting is to mount them to the top side of the frame rail, then cut a hole in the upper bumper, and stick them right through the bumper and mount them to the frame.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
ancient thread, but I figured I'd post here rather than make a new thread.

I just picked up a set of these at the Junkyard today...they were ez to find, and the most abundant ones out there.

Have you had a chance to use yours yet? Have they broken? How have they held up?

I think what I'll do for mounting is to mount them to the top side of the frame rail, then cut a hole in the upper bumper, and stick them right through the bumper and mount them to the frame.
I've had those same hooks on mine for years, abused the crap out of them, and never had a problem. Mine are mounted way differently, but I can't see where that would affect the durability of the hook itself. Not the best pic of the hooks, but you can see here how I have mine mounted vertically.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
fantastic! Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of mounting mine vertically too, till I read something about a "step" lol...and that sounds like a damned good idea, so I may mount mine flat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had them on my 87 and had the stock bumper on it with em i actually got stuck in a mud hole one night and got yanked out from the front and bent my driverside front frame rail. but it was strictly a mud truck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts