Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo.

Need more mpg from daily driver 1996 5.8 351 Currently doing a 700 mile weekend commute added to a daily 40 miler.

I know brands, Hypertech, Diablo, and have vague knowledge of chip/tuner.

Question: Would a tuner be mainly for MPG and chip for performance?

A little straight talk needed. I understand it's the OBD II ??
Is there a correct application for this year/make ?

mods: 56mm TB, Bassani headers, hi-flow Y-pipe Gibson single sideswept, 9mm wires, K&N filter. Maintained plugs/fuel filter/PVC valve,etc...

current 215,591 original

Dutch

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
buy a commuter. a chip is not going to instantly give you huge millage gains if any

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
search.

we've covered chips a million times.

you think you're the first person here to ever ask that question?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
If you drive 700 miles every weekend plus 40 a day regularly in a Bronco you might want to check your mental stability.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You would save more money in the long run by buying a cheap civic or corolla. I get about 38 MPG in my civic hatch (my DD). With gas prices, this is what I'd do.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you drive 700 miles every weekend plus 40 a day regularly in a Bronco you might want to check your mental stability.

lol.

I am getting about 13mpg. Which i think aint to bad.

But i also had a 42mpg honda to drive.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dutch if you dont want to get another car you are going kill your bank account... however a tuner for the obdII is what you want. I know a superchips tuner you can adjust for stock,economy, towing and power. Just remember the gas milage is never going to be great on our trucks. Niether is the power for that matter...good luck

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dutch if you dont want to get another car you are going kill your bank account... however a tuner for the obdII is what you want. I know a superchips tuner you can adjust for stock,economy, towing and power. Just remember the gas milage is never going to be great on our trucks. Niether is the power for that matter...good luck
You can find a cheap honda or toyota for a few hundred dollars. But to each his own.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
my vote is a cheap honda. Got myself a 97 4dr. accord. Love it!

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GTRider anbd Bronco4life suk my tailpipe;!!! am I clear ?? the other thanks for your help

After Iraq thangs got /alot weird - so right now I'm working it out thanks for your support

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
GTRider anbd Bronco4life suk my tailpipe;!!! am I clear ??
don't turn into a doublestuffed hemithis type of guy when people give you information.....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you're doing a 700 mile commute every weekend, check out renting a car. I'd suggest the fuel savings will more than pay for the car plus you'll have a more comfortable ride as well save on wear/tear on your Bronco. If you're military, check on your installation for an Enterprise rental office. They'll give you a discount.

After doing the math, you could find a 2500 dollar econo car and save enough fuel to pay for it in 17 weeks.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Yeah Dutch you're clear. Clearly an idiot for driving a vehicle like that 700 miles every weekend plus daily mileage.

Don't expect help on anything else.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
GTRider anbd Bronco4life suk my tailpipe;!!! am I clear ?? the other thanks for your help

After Iraq thangs got /alot weird - so right now I'm working it out thanks for your support
You mean you took an impact to the head is your excuse for driving a 10mpg SUV 700+ miles a week?

Yer slow boy.

Also, search noob, that response has been give like 32932t590235 times. :goodfinge

·
Registered
777 Posts
You know what Dutch? I'm on a laundry list of meds and shit from my tours in the Gulf. Calm down, and get yourself to the VA.

Seriously. If you did the time, you earned it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
damn why is it so hard to get help around here. yeah he could have searched but do you gus realize how many searched threads i find where most of the replies are "search noob." im a mod on other forums so i can understand but after letting him know to use the search button why not give him some useful info.

anyways i would get a xcal2. i have one for my cobra and my bronco. i have a pro racers package so i can do my own tuning. I bought mine from modular depot. there are so many places you can get them though. you can have them build you a tune for gas mileage but im not sure how much good it would do. that money would go better towards a tune up, injector cleaning, and maybe a new coil. if you can get anopther gas friendly car i would but i know thats not always an option.
xcal2's usually will come with 3 tunes btw. flashers are the way to go IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts