Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Bronco-heads!

I did a rear axle oil change yesterday and noticed a chipped tooth of one of the small gears (in the LSD?), see pictures!

http://gallery124417.fotopic.net/c881935_13.html

Is this really bad news or can I drive it without it chewing on the opposite gears finally destroying them too?! :-/

I also forgott to put limited slip additive in it, so I need to know if I should add it..

Can´t make out if it´s a limited slip or not, please helP! (Did some search and found some pics but wanna be sure.) :)

My rear axle tag says:

S 817 P
3L55 8 8 8M06

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You can see by looking at it that it is a limited slip or Trac-Loc.....you can also tell from the tag 3L55 indicates a 3.55:1 gear ratio and the L in there indicates that it is a Trac-Loc........and hell yes you need the friction modifier.

As for the chipped gear......well if its not causing you any real bad drivablility problems that you cant stand, I would just put up with it till you can rebuild the whole thing or better yet install a ARB air locker or some other sort of locker that will give better performance and longevity. If your planning on adding larger tires or want to re-gear the truck....now is the time. If not......just do like I said.....ride it out until it starts bucking when you turn:toothless

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
:stupid

I'm sure others will disagree, but as long as the chipped pieces aren't tumbling around inside the differential, i'd drive it as-is. And yes, you have a limited slip. You can tell because it has that S looking thing in it. Also, that's what the "L" signifies in the 3L55 on the tag :thumbup

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
Aragoon my 8.8 recently did that, and while I dont know when the first chip happened, the whole set of spider gears (the small ones) grenaded. Those things dont spin when you go in a straight line. They only spin when there is wheel speed differences between the two tires.

Therefore you're best bet is to take it REAL easy when you turn, no hard acceleration, or better yet, coast and only accelerate in a straight line if possible.

With this in mind, my 37 inch Super swampers had alot to do with my spider gears breaking. Much taller tires and much more traction (plus a 460 engine) put ALOT more stress on those small gears whenever I accelerated in a turn.
If you have smaller tires and take it easy, I would think your rear end will last long enough to get a replacement plan together.

-Will

·
Registered
159 Posts
this happened to mine....not too shortly the little (spiders) gears exploded...damaging the carrier...I would reccomend putting in new spider gears...it will be cheaper to fix it now then fix the whole thing later.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Spider gears are cheap, rear axle rebuilds are not. Get new spiders and add the friction modifier. You may have hidden stress fractures that aren't showing with everything in the axle. Swap em out before you have real problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts