Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a '78 Bronco with a newly rebuilt 400. The C6 transmission is untouched sine I bought it 4 years ago, I did change the fluid and hte pan was quite clean. I only have about 120 miles on the motor. I've been behaving as it breaks in, keeping it under 45 MPH and all that. Strang thing is, I hear a chirping that developed a few days ago sound at startup which gets quieter as it warms up but does not go away completely, especially under load. Motor runs beautifully. Seems like its coming from the transmission but hard to track the sound. I realize no one can diagnose it here, but what have others experienced with similar symptoms? Need ideas before taking it apart again. I did check the torque converter bolts they are tight. Thanks in advance for your shared experiences!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you paint the pulleys for the engine? It’s normal for some chirping for the first few miles while the belts wear the paint off the pulleys. That’s what it was in my case anyway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you paint the pulleys for the engine? It’s normal for some chirping for the first few miles while the belts wear the paint off the pulleys. That’s what it was in my case anyway.
I did paint them, however I actually removed all belts and ran the motor, still chirped with no pulleys engaged.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m going to go ahead and pull the motor for a serious inspection. Will post my findings. May help others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts