Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this chirping sound coming from the bronco when eccelerating, also when cruising but not as much. I think its the u-joint, even though it looks like its in good shape. Whats the easiest way to fix this?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Yes it could very well be your u-joints. If they are serviceable, grease them if not replace them

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that the '93 bronco has a grease fitting for the u-joint, so would the best thing to do would be to get a new u-joint?

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
From the factory ALL Bonnco's had greaseable ujoints on the driveshafts. If there isn't a zirk fitting on the ujoint it means 1 of 2 things, either the ujoint has been replaced with a non-serviceable ujoint or the zirk has been broken off. Like waltman said if you can't grease em, replace em.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a bunch for the info

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
87EBBronco said:
From the factory ALL Bonnco's had greaseable ujoints on the driveshafts. If there isn't a zirk fitting on the ujoint it means 1 of 2 things, either the ujoint has been replaced with a non-serviceable ujoint or the zirk has been broken off. Like waltman said if you can't grease em, replace em.
Actually I'm pretty sure that no vehicles , let alone broncos came with greaseable u-joints, I could be wrong but I can say for sure the 91 Ranger did not come with greasable u-joints.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
87EBBronco said:
From the factory ALL Bonnco's had greaseable ujoints on the driveshafts.
That should say "From the factory, ALMOST NO Ford products had greasable u-joints..." Greasable u-joints are physically weaker, more expensive to build, and more prone to contamination than sealed u-joints. That's why the factory preferrs non-greasable, and why they last so much longer than greasable ones.

IF you find yours are bad, get some sealed Spicer Gold u-joints from NAPA etc. But pack the caps with hi-quality grease before installing them. I prefer Castrol Pyroplex Blue, but there are other good ones - none that have a big Q, though. :uke:

·
Registered
59 Posts
ive had three broncos and none have had greasable u-joints on either of the drive shafts two of the three broncos had the original u joints too, maybe there were a few years that had em but i know mine sure didnt

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My F-250's got greasable fittings on the driveshafts... :shrug

Also, it sounds like a wheel bearing, not a u-joint.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not a wheel bearing, its to fast of a sound, also it doesnt happen when im just rolling, its when im eccelerating

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dang, so i prolly do have to get a new u-joint, whats the price range?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Konham said:
its not a wheel bearing, its to fast of a sound, also it doesnt happen when im just rolling, its when im eccelerating
Mine went from EXTREMELY fast to not at all and everywhere in between before it blew out. Mine happened when I was rolling slowly, and accelrating...

Check both when you get a chance...

Check www.napaonline.com for the particulars for your truck... when I worked for Napa they went for $25 or so for the good ones.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I got a hundred that says it is a u-joint

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill put the 25 for the ujoint at napa, i am also hearing another sound besides the chirping, it only happens when excellerating, its like a mild clunking sound and creates some vibration. Seems almost like its coming from the front driveshaft but its when im in 2wd.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Could your hubs be sticking? Why would it happen during acc? If the hubs are UNlocked, then they theoritically, shouldn't be moving.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no hubs are free they work fine, i know that for sure. I'm thinking that if its the front driveshaft that is making the sound than the 4x4 isnt disengaging. That would be bad

1 - 20 of 26 Posts