Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 ford bronco 5.0L, e4od transmission, everything stock
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my engine thermostat bec the old one was a fail safe type and got stuck open. Now with the new one I put in the engine temperature gauge reads by the A or L of "NORMAL" is that ok? It seems to indicate it's running sorta hot. I do have a 2 inch core radiator as opposed to the stock 1inch.

any clue why?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
go get a real gauge and put that on there for a bit, get a more accurate reading. there are variances in the stock equipment

where are you located, what are ambient temps, and how is it being driven?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Located in central Jersey last night it was about 50 degrees outside

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,900 Posts
Did you get the correct temperature range thermometer? Thermometers come in different temperature ranges so you can adjust the temp range to your liking.

Did you put it in the right way? They have to go in a specific way, it does matter.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
155 Posts
Just to add to @klh95bronco, did you "burp" the system to remove any air pockets and/or notice any chunks of stuff that would indicate the need to do a flush?
~Erik

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put in 195 degree thermostat the spring part was sticking into the engine block and the coolant was flushed about 8 months ago and was still bright green with no dirt in it. could it be my sensor for the gauge is just showing too hot? I checked with thermometers gun and engine by coolant hose is 180 degrees more or less. that's normal. No?

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,399 Posts
Get an after-market gauge as suggested just to be safe. They're cheap enough. A 195 t-stat in there now, going into the winter should be fine.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
Get an after-market gauge as suggested just to be safe. They're cheap enough. A 195 t-stat in there now, going into the winter should be fine.
Definitely. It's fascinating that anyone would leave the factory gauges as a source of information. Terrible design, no idea what numbers they're actually seeing, and they're all 25 years or older. The aftermarket gauges are very simple to install with a few basic electrical tools and some connectors. Once you find a "key on/run" hot wire, it's all plug and play.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok will do. What company is recommended?

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,399 Posts
Joe, I have probably have an extra laying around. PM me for details, if you want it you can have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.