Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the industrial chrome finishe bassani headers? the coated ones are a little to pricey for me. the chrome carry a lifetime warrentee, so i figure they cant rust out too bad...

and yes i have read just about every header thread on here a few times.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DcSkater602 said:
if you do any kind of 4 wheeling then the chrome pretty headers will be stained brwn for ever

DC
staining doesn't bother me much, i am more thinking of longevity. i have the stainless bassani Y pipe i will be putting on at the same time, and i want them both to last a long time.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RLKBOB said:
Lifetime guarantee = longevity. How much are the chrome ones compared to the ceramic coated? I think I paid about $465 for my ceramics.
it seems to be about $100 cheaper without the coating across the intarweb.
i have also found some sites claiming the bassani headers are stainless, but bassani says they are mild steel.

so just to clarify, how difficult is it to get to the plugs with the bassanis? i know rlkbob said it was easy, but i still have my smog crap on.

on a side note, i was also looking at the ford racing stainless units. the downsides i see to them is they are not equal length, and they only have 1/4" flanges. the upside is they are only $300

so many choices....

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is interesting from bassani's website:
Nickel (industrial chrome) finish on headers is warranted until installation and use of product at which time it is considered to have a limited resistance to rusting, discoloration and peeling. High temperature ceramic header coating is warranted against de-bonding and tube "rust through" for as long as the original purchaser shall own the vehicle on which it was originally installed; superficial surface rusting of header coating, especially between tubes, is considered normal and therefore not warranted as a defect in materials and workmanship.

i am not sure i like the limited resistance part. i may just have to find an extra hundred $ somewhere and go with the ceramic...

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Can't help ya with how easy the plugs are to change with the smog stuff still on. I can tell you with the equal length headers and no smog crap the plugs are easier to change than they were stock. The only plug that had a little issue was #7. I had to loosen the header bolt thus loosening the hold down for the dipstick so I could move the dipstick tube about an inch. Still, it only took about an extra minute(maybe) and I was very happy with the ease of changing the plugs, especially after hearing what a nightmare it was with equal lengths.

·
Registered
621 Posts
mine are gibson shorties, 3/8'' flange $325 from desert rat off road centers. plugs are easier to get to now then stock manifolds, smog crap bolts right up, lifetime warranty. header wrap will void the warranty though.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
badpony93 said:

those were chrome headers at one point in time. no real advantage to chrome or coated, other than coated don't turn blue/purple, muddy.
how long would you figure they were used when that pic was taken? i am just trying to gauge how long they will last.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just bought some bbk's from summit for $250. There chrome and none equal length and have a 3/8" flange. The equal length isn't gonna do much for you on a bronco. Even on a mustang they are only worth a minimal advantage over nonequal's. I'm talking 1-3 hp, and on a bronco I'm sure there worth even less seeing as how the motor only rev's to 4k anyways. As for the ceramic coating, I couldn't justify the extra $120 to get a set that were ceramic coated when there just gonna get dirty anyways. With non equal length headers spark plug changes are a breeze and you don't have to worry about melting any plug wires.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i just threw down the cash on a set of bbk ceramic coated shorties and a set of copper gaskets. now i need permatex copper, and a new o2 sensor and i will be ready to install my bbk/bassani y-pipe combo. :rockon

thanks for all the replies. :beer

also, should i run a tap thru the bolt holes in the head to clean them up before i put on the headers, or no? :shrug
thanks

pretty....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts