Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before anyone flames me I did a quick serach of our data base and got nothing. I have a set of chrome steel wheels on my 89 Full size. I like them alot. But as you know it is winter. And in winter they spray that deicing crap all over the roads. My wheels are only like 3 months old and I want them to last. My question is other than waxing onece a week what other ways can I protect my wheels from the winter damage? I just waxed them 2 weeks ago with meguires detail shop line carnuba wax but they are all rusted up again. Anything better?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that but clear coat peals and I don't want to deal with that either. I am just looking for a good protectant. It doesn't help that I have been sprayed directly by 3 different de icer trucks. it is very corrosive shit I'll tell you what.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
From what it sounds like, you have to address the rust fairly often. I dont think youd have to keep up with the clear coat that often if properly prepped.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
best thing for chrome wheels is an s.o.s pad....it'll take the rust right off and have 'em shining like new.....only problem is they will rust again.
so i would suggest cleaning them real good, and have them clear coated....front and backside.
or go with aluminum?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
marine Corrosion Block. It leaves a tannish waxy film behind when it dries, but it lasts and it works. Cleans off with engine degreaser or Super Clean....

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
wd40 works ok

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I talked to a local wheel repair shop and they said that it is impossible to clear coat them. Also said that it sounds like a poor finish quality, and that I would never be able to stop them from rusting. I don't want aluminum wheels because mine are less than 2 months old. It is ridiculous, I have waxed them at least twice since I put them on. which should be plenty of wax. But I do have a year waranty on them so I will see if I can get them to take care of it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I wax the outer chrome part of mine and it works. Do you have a garage your truck is in? when it's very cold for weeks and it's snowed it sucks because you are leaving that corrosive stuff sitting on there. My trick is as soon as it's warm enough I wash the truck, and the wheels. but each time you pull in the garage take a moist towel and run it around the wheels unless you've allowed them to get caked and dry with that corrosive stuff. This is my first winter in colorado so we'll see. I also have the luxury of a garage, and my "daily driver" actually does not take me to work every day since I work from my home office.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I have a garage but it isn't for parking in. I woun't let my wife park her 04 explorer in my garage. The garage is for fixing shit and hanging out. I do the same wash them as soon as the roads dry out. becasuse it is uselss to do it when it is wet out. but I can't keep them from rusting. I go to this car wash that rocks It uses hot super high pressure on the wheels and rockers whe n you drive through it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd recommend using a polymer-based sealant instead of a carnauba. Carnaubas are not renowned for their longevity- especially in harsh environemnts. Try using something like Meguiar's NXT or Zaino... should hold up a little better.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Just spray em off real quick and wipe em dry after every drive.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just spray em off real quick and wipe em dry after every drive.
im not sure about idaho but in washington and oregon they shut the outside water off to keep the pipes from freezing i believe..

sounds like going through the car wash is the best thing if its working for you. 5 or 6 bucks every couple weeks isnt a big deal imo

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
im not sure about idaho but in washington and oregon they shut the outside water off to keep the pipes from freezing i believe..

sounds like going through the car wash is the best thing if its working for you. 5 or 6 bucks every couple weeks isnt a big deal imo
you normally would have to do that with standard spigots found in WA and OR, but if Idaho is like Colorado the spigot has a different shutoff that can't freeze, so no worries.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, if they are rusting already, that means the chrome is gone where it it rusting. Chrome won't rust. If they are only two months old and are rusting already, I would be taking them back to where I bought them and raising hell.

mR

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Well, if they are rusting already, that means the chrome is gone where it it rusting. Chrome won't rust. If they are only two months old and are rusting already, I would be taking them back to where I bought them and raising hell.

mR
No it's the chemical. If his are like mine, the chrome is just fine, and yes, rust wants to start developing on top of the chrome. If you get it real quick you can rub it off and the chrome is just fine. If you leave it on too long, it will damage the chrome, and keep on spreading.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts