Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting a lot of money into restoring/repairing my Bronco lately. I'd like to insure it for what it is worth now. Does anyone have any recommendations for good classic car insurance companies. I've received a quote from Hagerty but was wondering if there are any other good companies.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,380 Posts
I am a State Farm customer and I have a policy for a collector vehicle. It is called a declared value policy. I asked for a value of 22,000 and they valued my truck at 17k. This is a much better value than what I would get from a regular insurance policy. One thing I did to get this value was to show all of my receipts of upgrades, repairs and improvements.

If I had a regular policy I would assume my truck would be totaled out for a value of 5k or less. Now I know I will get at least 17k for all of my troubles and money spent.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,818 Posts
Also a good idea to get an apprasial done, with any insurance company. This will just be extra in your favor if a situation comes up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch. I need to set something up pretty fast. My son and I don't drive it much but when we do I feel like I'm hanging quite a bit of money out there.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I am a State Farm customer and I have a policy for a collector vehicle. It is called a declared value policy. I asked for a value of 22,000 and they valued my truck at 17k. This is a much better value than what I would get from a regular insurance policy. One thing I did to get this value was to show all of my receipts of upgrades, repairs and improvements.

If I had a regular policy I would assume my truck would be totaled out for a value of 5k or less. Now I know I will get at least 17k for all of my troubles and money spent.
The Hartford tried to total mine out for 4200. Trouble is they weren't my insurance company, they were the at fault party's insurance. Assholes.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,380 Posts
The way it was explained to me was if the at fault driver's insurance company wants to total my truck out for a low amount, I could make the claim to my insurance company and take the $1000 deductible hit, but my insurance company would total the truck out at my declared value. My insurance company would then sue the at fault drivers insurance company to get their money back from them. 16k is a much better deal even though I have to lose out my deductible.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I wasn't given the option as I don't have collision. The big problem with totaling out a vehicle is that it will have a salvage title, and getting insurance coverage on a rebuilt title can be a hassle.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
331 Posts
I've never had issues insuring salvage title vehicles. I've had several, live in CA for the record. (y)

Salvaged vehicles I've had and insured, rates were normal!
78 Bronco
1990 Miata
1990 240SX
1987 300ZX

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,395 Posts
I'm Alto with statefarm for the same reasons Klh95Bronco mentioned. Insured for the value of the truck. I have mine insured at 22k value. They didn't make me provide documents showing improvements tho altho I did tell them I have all receipts... For my bullnose and '12 escape 500 deductible and 50/100/50 full coverage on both I pay $190 a month. Pretty reasonable I think... For pa anyway...

·
Registered
96 XLT 5.8 E4OD 4in lift with 35's
27 Posts
American Collectors is what I have for my 96. I payed $228.00 for the year, I also have 50/100/50 plus a $500.00 deductible and a $13,500 value.The more work I do on it and I can increase the value. The only draw back is I'm allowed 7,000 miles per year, but that is ok with me as it is not my daily driver. The agent who I dealt with sent me an app and asked for 1 picture to show her it wasn't a piece of shit vehicle looking for cheap insurance. BroncMom I'm also in Pa, Bucks County area and this company is in Cherry Hill, NJ.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
315 Posts
I’m with Hagerty. Have road side assistance too. Declared value $15K. $289/year. I live in SoFL. Fraud capitol of America. Our insurance premiums are insane. I used to have Statefarm, until my now 24 yr old son had 2 at fault accidents. They CXL me.

I have the lizard 🦎 Geico on my daily drivers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Hartford tried to total mine out for 4200. Trouble is they weren't my insurance company, they were the at fault party's insurance. Assholes.
Progressive tried my 92 at $5087.60 (305,000 miles, with mismatched front clip, enough dents and paint issues to give it a bottom rating on the body, the original worn out rear carpet and a few panels I hadn't put back or that were broken to lower that), including taxes and fees. The adjuster they stuck me with at first just wouldn't answer any of the simple questions I asked with sticking me with the only option of totalling it, so after telling her that my best option was to just fix it myself (possibly bent rear axle, dented rear quarter, broken exhaust manifold, and minor odds and ends to accompany that), caused her to get the repair rep involved to get just under $3500 to do the repairs and keep the title clean, which is something I suggested early on. Still have a ways to go for it to be back on the road, but she will definitely be worth another 2-3k over that 5k value when it is done. Will end up, either after Root tries to screw me on policy renewal (they do a trial run with an app for initial rate and they only knocked off $12 with a 10/10 driving score on liability) or I get my 280z done, will be swapping to Hagerty.

Also learned that if it replaces an OEM part, insurance valuations only count its value as the original OEM part, so definitely keeping an original front bumper, grill, and lights around. And should I be caught up again, I will also make sure to snatch my wood trim I made for the dash since it is considered "personal preference."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts