Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running it? My POS truck with it's vapor lock, rusty tanks, holy lines, and lawn mower throttle choke have made me consider it.

I've determined that an IMPCo 425 will bolt right to my Edelbrock intake with no adapters, then I need a regulator, vaporizer, tank, and lines... That's about as far as I've gotten with it so far lol.

If anyone is running it, is there some kind of choke system? How does it do in cold temps? (I live in Michigan) What kind of mileage do you get? ( I don't drive alot, but still, just wondering what to expect there). Any quirks or weird behavior?

One more thing, I've read, that propane is analogous to 114 octane, and that 10:1 compression is preffered... Well I'm at 8.3:1 or something gay like that, will that be an issue?

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Do a search on the net and you will find that it's been done but to pickups and off road vehicles(rockcrwalers). Havent see any in a bronco and one company which I looked at a while ago had a nice setup for pickups. Kits were generly made to adapt to carb type vehicles and the tanks used in the setup were Forklift tanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
yeah, the tanks would have to be under the truck or completely enclosed and vented to the roof for safety. last thing you want is to be inhaling propane!

·
Registered
133 Posts
If anyone is running it, is there some kind of choke system? How does it do in cold temps? (I live in Michigan) What kind of mileage do you get? ( I don't drive alot, but still, just wondering what to expect there). Any quirks or weird behavior?
i can only answer this but it might help you a little bit ... propane is not good below -35c as it starts to jell. that being said i have it on a 1983 Chevy:)doh0715:) 454ci 4x4 and it has a block heater installed on the mixer and it keeps it from jelling in the -40c weather we have in Alberta winters(as long as you plug it in)...not sure about broncos but they do have in-cab tanks for blazers so i would assume that if they can make one for a blazer bronco would be the same. and on the mileage side of things the BB 454 gets 850km to a 300litre tank

hope this helped at least a little bit
Ryan

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
there is a guy on here from australia that has converted his bronco

·
Registered
11 Posts
propane

I have been thinking about trying this. My understanding is that the vapor box over the tank or valve assemblies would have to be vented down. Propane is heavier than air. you would need an electrical shut off valve for the supply so it shuts the gas off when ignition is not in the run position. you would need a remote fill and also a remote bleed. may not need the bleed if the fill valve has a new style 80% overfill shut off. I have spent some time on line researching this and there is not a lot of info out about motor fuel propane tank in passenger compartments. also has to be permanently mounted. I am trying to get info on what it cost to update and old tank. the new tanks that are made for this are expensive. if anyone has ideas or more information on this i would be interested.

thanks

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
you should contact strickland propane about this... ask for hank :goodfinge

but seriously... having a propane rig seems... dangerous... what happens when your out on the trail and for whatever reason you slide on a rock and puncture your gas tank... kaboom

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I only have experience with propane forklifts the fuel can be shut off either by an electric solenoid or a vacuum powered lock valve Impco was the only fuel stuff I ever used. Knolffs Carburation is who I used for a couple specialty swaps including making a 11hp honda powered air compressor run off natural gas. I found this while searching for the name http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/2383485889.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
My understanding is that the propane tanks are much stronger than the gas tanks currently installed in vehicles. Not saying that it could never happen but would be unlikely. I have also considered cng. They are suppose to be putting in a couple public filling stations in Omaha. The compressed natural gas tanks that are over 10 gallons are really expensive. Thanks for the reply. If I had a pickup truck instead of the bronco I would try for sure. The Bronco is a daily driver and not to many rocks in Nebraska to slide on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
May want to think about how it will be to refuel. In general , the propane refuel infrastructrue is not real good although it may be ok in your area. Finding a camping store that is open at 8pm for a fill up is not easy!

·
Ford Hoarder
I own a bunch of Broncos 10 or so . Lol
1,502 Posts
and ya may have to have a permit to run it on the street and to fuel it . ya have to have $200 or so one here in Arkansas. thats why we use fork tanks that way we can fuel with out the permit. we just tank there tanks there self. o but ya still can get a big ticket running it without the permit on the street .

·
Registered
11 Posts
as far as i know you don't need any permits. you do have to pay the 70 cent per gallon or whatever it is road tax. puts it up to about $2.45 a gallon. There is a place here in town that will fill it if it is set up all legal. He didn't know about it being inside the vehicle. there is a few people that run propane with tanks in the back of their trucks. I think as it was all set up to code and safe it would be fine. It is a local propane dealer that is not open on evenings or weekends but if I have a big enough tank it wouldn't be to bad. I would always have the option of gas with the flip of a switch. Just trying to get some info right now and see how expensive it going to get.

Any of you run propane with fuel injection systems?

·
Registered
171 Posts
[email protected], on a side note I would think about changing your name from your email address because spambots comb the internet for email addresses and you will start getting all kinds of spam if you haven't already. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In Canada, About 4 of 10 ford trucks are switched over to propane. My truck is on propane and is a very simple setup. Propane tanks are MUCH MUCH stronger than gasoline tanks. I have slammed mine down numerous times and not so much as a dent. My tanks also have a thick skid plate... There is a on/off valve on the tank that is pretty much only needed when installing the system. There is a propane line that goes to the mixer, than to the "carb" Mine is actually vacuum controlled that actuates an electronic valve to shut the propane off. Starting can sometimes take a little longer, and power is less but I pay 79.9 cents a liter (vs 139.9 for gas) Not much to really say, its simple as hell to install the the fuel milage/vs/price is awesome

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
as far as i know you don't need any permits. you do have to pay the 70 cent per gallon or whatever it is road tax. puts it up to about $2.45 a gallon. There is a place here in town that will fill it if it is set up all legal. He didn't know about it being inside the vehicle. there is a few people that run propane with tanks in the back of their trucks. I think as it was all set up to code and safe it would be fine. It is a local propane dealer that is not open on evenings or weekends but if I have a big enough tank it wouldn't be to bad. I would always have the option of gas with the flip of a switch. Just trying to get some info right now and see how expensive it going to get.

Any of you run propane with fuel injection systems?
I think you'd have to disable the fuel pump and wire up some dummy injectors to run propane. I think. unless you run propane through the injectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i will look into the name change. thanks

The kit I was looking at starts on gas and then switches over at a certain rpm, then stays on lp until you shut it off. it uses a modulator that has a Y harness that you hook up to your injectors. it takes the signal from the injectors when running on propane to open the low pressure end of regulator as needed into a atomizer "fogger" that goes into the intake. I assume once the fuel pump is up to pressure and the injectors are not being used that it would shut itself off.

That is my understanding. But still learning.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
i will look into the name change. thanks

The kit I was looking at starts on gas and then switches over at a certain rpm, then stays on lp until you shut it off. it uses a modulator that has a Y harness that you hook up to your injectors. it takes the signal from the injectors when running on propane to open the low pressure end of regulator as needed into a atomizer "fogger" that goes into the intake. I assume once the fuel pump is up to pressure and the injectors are not being used that it would shut itself off.

That is my understanding. But still learning.
iirc the injectors would wear out operating like that. and the fuel pump will run as long as the engine is running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think when you hook up the modulator, when it switches to propane, the injectors are bypassed and when you run on gas the modulator is bypassed and the normal connection is made to the injectors. Unless the injectors would clog from being exposed to compression and carbon with out use i wouldn't think it would hurt them. but i could be wrong. thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts