Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i'm 20 years old and I need some advice from the old timers here. How do you guys get all the grease and grime off your hands at the end of a good day of wrenching? I tried lava soap, but it just gets the surface stuff. I can never seem to get the stuff out of the cracks in my knuckles or the sides of my hands! can any of you share you experience with me so I don't look like a mechanic 24/7 this spring?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I like the gojo. If you can get something with abrasives in it it works the best, like gojo. You can also use some of the things like a lufa or w/e, to help scrub it off, need something more abbrasive than skin

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've always used Fast Orange while out in the garage, then finished up with lava soap once I come in the house..... seems to work fine for me...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use goop to get the big stuff, then just scrub the heck out of the tough spots with hand soap and a fingernail brush. If you can get used to the feel of them, Mechanix gloves will save your hands too.

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
i use the gritty gojo stuff. just grab enough to equal the size of a walnut then scrub for about 3 minutes without water and then rinse. my hands are spotless even though they were covered in spraypaint and axle grease from a axle i picked up yesterday were the oil looked 20 years old

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
I like the 98 cent a tub white gojo. It works good.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Fast orange or gojo works real well if you dont water your hands first. If the gunk is really thick, dry your hands inbetween washing them.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I use GoJo and it usually works well but if I have something really stubborn I use an abrasive dish washing sponge and that'll take it off....along with a layer or two of skin

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
dawn and a scotch brite pad. for the stubborn stuff i use some of that gritty stuff and the scotch brite.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
Dish soap and sugar. The sugar works as an abrasive and won't irriate cuts in your hand. Just pour the dish soap in your hand, and then the sugar, the more sugar you add, the more abrasive the soap will be. You should also cream you hands with some kind of moisturizer it will keep the grime from setting in the cracks. It sounds girly but it works. Try using invisible glove before you wrench, or just get some nitrile gloves. If you have access to a pool, just hang out in the pool for a few hours and the chlorine will do it too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Cheap powdered washing detergent, what you put in to wash your clothes. It's nice and abrasive.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I use Fast Orange without water (just wipe it off with a towel) then go inside and wash with dish soap. But I also use gloves a lot, although they only really help with solids (dust, grease, etc) not liquids (oil, coolant, etc). If I know I"m going to be messing with oil or other liquids I throw on nitrile gloves. Or if it is really cold and I'm messing with liquid I put nitrile gloves on over my mechanics gloves, but that can become a pain in the ass.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I use DL hand cleaner for the really oily stuff, and the smooth Fast Orange for regular dirt and grime. The secret with that stuff is to keep rubbing it into your hands. After a while it'll soften up pretty much anything.

Last resort is carburetor cleaner, xylene, or toluene. :thumbup

·
Registered
995 Posts
Top-Grit hand cleaner. Sometimes its kinda hard to find but It is the best stuff on the planet. It will take off absolutely everything with very little scrubbing and it dosent [email protected]#K up or dry out your hands like some of the others do.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Zep Cherry Bomb handcleaner.
I also wear latex gloves for real dirty jobs. You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight.
Putting lotion/Vaseline on your hands before working helps.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Zep Cherry Bomb handcleaner.
I also wear latex gloves for real dirty jobs. You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight.
Putting lotion/Vaseline on your hands before working helps.
I'm waiting for someone to provide illumination on why latex and Vaseline don't mix.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
lava soap works well in conjunction with a really stiff brush. Scratching yourself with your fingernails while washing works well too.

Before it got costly, we would use diesel :brownbag

1 - 20 of 45 Posts