Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a bit of my history with my '93. I bought it new in 93, and took very good care of it of course. About 2008 I gave it to my son, and it took a bit of a beating for several years, before being returned to me, which I put it in storage/limbo/my garage for 10 years. In the last year I have brought it back to life, seeking the former glory it once had. It failed, then passed the smog test with a little work (I have an automotive mechanical background). It is in pretty good shape but needs all the required cleaning and polishing that misuse, neglect and storage can instill. That is outside my forte. The question is, what have you used with success to revitalize the paint, plastics, interior, mag rims to a decent gleam. My quandary and original focus is the aluminum skin on the tailgate, that is oxidized and cloudy. It is a 'brushed' finish that I don't want to ruin with an aggressive polish. Same goes for the original alloy rims on it; dull and cloudy. The follow-up quest is cleaning the carpet to remove what seems to be light oil stains, e.g furniture polish oil and dirt. Restoration of such a great vehicle is a global reward. Thanks.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,332 Posts
For all raw aluminum, magnesium, etc, Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish is top notch. Use their Powerball tool too. Mostly for wheels, but it cleans other things well too. Like any smooth ABS plastic. It will clean and polish the hell out of it.

The aluminum tailgate panel has a coating on it. If you remove it, you can and must treat it to the same mothers polish, with the grain. If the clear on that panel is hazy, theres not much you can do to bring it back.

Back to Black is fantastic on all plastic and rubber, inside and out. Like armorall, but without the greasy residue.

Idk much about waxes and rubbing compounds

·
Super Moderator
24,989 Posts
Yo Leonard,
Welcome!
Was speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership? Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,796 Posts
Anything on this website will be top notch. Its the only stuff allowed to touch my Mustang and 96 F-250.

·
Premium Member
1994 EB 351 (Sold)
276 Posts
For the tailgate panel:

Apply a medium cut polish and rub in direction of grain with an old toothbrush. This will keep the brushed aluminum look without adding too much of a polish. After spray with a clearcoat from Eastwood for mag wheels or similar product. You can also just keep it waxed and it should stay good looking for a long time.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,332 Posts
For the tailgate panel:

Apply a medium cut polish and rub in direction of grain with an old toothbrush. This will keep the brushed aluminum look without adding too much of a polish. After spray with a clearcoat from Eastwood for mag wheels or similar product. You can also just keep it waxed and it should stay good looking for a long time.
In lieu of a toothbrush, a piece of scotchbrite on a sanding block works just as well, if not better.

Whatever method is used, going with the grain is a MUST. Then it must be kept waxed well or recoated with a clear. If you dont keep it protected somehow, it will get dirty very easily. If you drive dirt roads, especially red dirt, it'll stain faster than a two-year-old's undies. Then you gotta clean it again.

I've heard good things about a product called sharkhide for coating raw non-ferrous metals. Never used it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For all raw aluminum, magnesium, etc, Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish is top notch. Use their Powerball tool too. Mostly for wheels, but it cleans other things well too. Like any smooth ABS plastic. It will clean and polish the hell out of it.

The aluminum tailgate panel has a coating on it. If you remove it, you can and must treat it to the same mothers polish, with the grain. If the clear on that panel is hazy, theres not much you can do to bring it back.

Back to Black is fantastic on all plastic and rubber, inside and out. Like armorall, but without the greasy residue.

Idk much about waxes and rubbing compounds
That is most helpful, as I am a big fan of the Mother's products. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yo Leonard,
Welcome!
Was speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership? Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al
That is most interesting, especially the recall mentioned. I ran my VIN and it shows that the repairs have not been completed...began, but not finished. So, a trip to the dealer is warranted....along with a fire extinguisher recharge.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,457 Posts
I might have a little knowledge since I ran an auto and boat detailing business for 10 years....
Metals = Mother’s

Leather and vinyl = Race Glaze trim renewer

paint= Race glaze leveling compound and a foam machine buffing pad, this is a polishing agent... if it’s bad use fast action compound first but it will swirl.... Race glaze buffing compounds are water soluble so buff, bathe, and add there polish sealant.
I’m not affiliated with Race Glaze and no longer doing it professionally but never advertised and only gave it up because I didn’t want to expand and was burning myself out because all the word of mouth customers, I had a full time job at the same time packing trash ( union job) so I chose to keep that.

(Edit)carpet and cloth: Blue coral carpet cleaner (orileys here carries it)

·
Addicted to Junk
12,332 Posts
Do you really have a 351M like your signature says, or is it a windsor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigBlue: I am going through the purchasing paperwork and repair sheets to see where I picked up that "M" on the engine. I have been calling it an M since I bought it but honestly can't remember where I got it from, perhaps verbally from a mechanic at the dealer. I'll let you know what I dig up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigBlue: It may be a good thing you brought up the question of having an 'M' engine or a 'W' configuration. I can't find exact data on the engine, but researching the differences I can't see how it is possible to have an 'M' in a 1993 Bronco. I'll get clarification from the dealer when I take it in for the recall I've yet to complete. Thanks for the question.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
12,332 Posts
Correct, none of the EFI stuff from a 5.8L bronco will really fit on the 351M/400 engine block. The heads swap, but the block is different. Kinda how you cant use a 302 intake on a 351w.

The 351M ceased production in like 81 or 82 and was never injected from the factory. My guess is it's a normal Windsor SBF engine that someone just misidentified.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts