Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the photos below you can see it has been quite a while since my engine compartment has been cleaned. What do you recommend as a good product or best method for cleaning it up?

Also, what is this big black thing on top of my intake manifold???

·
Registered
81 Posts
castrol super clean, spray on warm engin let sit 2min and hose off. Be careful you dont soak the electronics.

That big black thing is your supercharger

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
With a cold engine, I spray everything with WD40 and let it soak for a bit than come back and hose it all off. Some say wd40 is bad to spray on a engine.....well wd40 is a Water Displacement, and protects metals, It's actualy fish oil with a stong perfum added to eliminate the fish smell. I also read somewhere about protecting electrical systems. It was made and used originaly to keep balistic nuke missles from rusting in there silo's. Here is a pic of my engine bay I took on 6/21/10.

With the amount of dust you have on there you may have to do it a few times. I usualy spray it on heavy in the supper greasy areas and let it sit for 15 min and come back and rinse it off with a high pressure hose setting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
With a cold engine, I spray everything with WD40 and let it soak for a bit than come back and hose it all off. Some say wd40 is bad to spray on a engine.....well wd40 is a Water Displacement, and protects metals, It's actualy fish oil with a stong perfum added to eliminate the fish smell. I also read somewhere about protecting electrical systems. It was made and used originaly to keep balistic nuke missles from rusting in there silo's. Here is a pic of my engine bay I took on 6/21/10.
With the amount of dust you have on there you may have to do it a few times. I usualy spray it on heavy in the supper greasy areas and let it sit for 15 min and come back and rinse it off with a high pressure hose setting.
I have to disagree with this guy oil is bad for electronics and fords already have bad wiring. Also with dust sticks to oil so your engine will only stay clean like that for about 5 minutes. Use gunk brand foamy engine bright (read the directions on it), scrub anything that needs a little extra albo grease and wipe a little plastic/rubber protectant (not armor all) on.....well rubber and plastic that you want to shine. That will make it look tits!
I think that thing on you engine is a belt driven beauty cover. lol

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a little funny that this post got moved...

I actually have a some idea about cleaning the engine compartment, and know that i have a supercharger. It was supposed to be a little bit of a joke for the 80-96 crowd because I've gotten a number of PMs for people who wanted to see pictures and details of the Kenne Bell.
Oh well.

But on the engine cleaning note, I don't think I would use an oil-based product to clean my engine. I'll probably give it a shot with regular old simple green and light water pressure.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is that a black super charger??????lol...use gunk or royal brown b carefull with some of the cleaners on aluminum as most of it contains acids ....dilute the purple power and royal brown and the other stuff that comes in a jug...

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah man, the black ones are good for 20hp more than the silver ones!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
on my car, i soak it with simple green then rinse it all off. once its all degreased, use some lemon pledge on a rag and wipe it all over, turns out great. ive tried engine specific detailing stuff and didnt like the way it looked.

ps, sweet blower

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I just use Simple Green. Spray it on a cold engine at full strength, let it sit for awhile and then hose it off with the hard spray. If you really want shiny after that, just use something like Meguiars or Mothers spray shine like you'd use on your tires or dashboard. It won't last as long as the WD40 but you don't have to worry about people telling you how bad it is whether it is or not....

Just sayin.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's the first '96 engine bay that I've seen. I did'nt realize the differences between the '95 and '96 were that drastic. Whats up with the huge looking valve covers? The OP's vehicle did'nt have that look but impalaslayer's vehicle look huge. ??? Thats just badass looking. The only thingy that I really recognize is the dipstick. (note to self......don't show my kids, they'll want upgrades)

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's the first '96 engine bay that I've seen. I did'nt realize the differences between the '95 and '96 were that drastic. Whats up with the huge looking valve covers? The OP's vehicle did'nt have that look but impalaslayer's vehicle look huge. ??? Thats just badass looking. The only thingy that I really recognize is the dipstick. (note to self......don't show my kids, they'll want upgrades)
Are you talking about Impalaslayer? If so, that isn't his Bronco... Looks like a 4V Mod Motor to me...

·
Premium Member
919 Posts

HA!!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
chili is correct lol didnt mean to hijack.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I use "Purple Power" on my engines, spray it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes and rinse. I don't recommend Simple Green as it's corrosive to aluminum which is why the aviation industry quit using it.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I use "Purple Power" on my engines, spray it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes and rinse. I don't recommend Simple Green as it's corrosive to aluminum which is why the aviation industry quit using it.
only if you dont rinse it thoroughly , im in the aviation industry as well, never had a problem. but actually spray nine works way better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Simple Green can F up stuff as stated. If you had a few other rigs to clean I would go rent a pressure steamer. It's one of the things thats on my wish list. you won't need hardly any cleaner with the steamer.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Simple Green is good because it's bio-degradeable and works well with water but leaves a flat finish buy NBD......

I don't like water sprayed all over the bay & electronics just as a matter of routine, it can potenially cause needless problems and it's too messy to clean up IMO.

I like to work a small area at a time using soft brushes so it's not overwhelming, spary, brush then rinse slowly and wipe up that way you can do a little or a lot everyday and get it completely done. Silicone or Black Chrome is nice to use on hoses etc. depends on how much you want to trick out....
I also wax the inside fender rails and the underside of the hood so it looks clean & sanitary every time you open the hood. Door jams the same too!

Elbow grease is FREE you just have to take your time and enjoy what you're doing, there's nothing like a clean engine bay AND it makes it easier to track leaks etc.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts