Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, questions.

First, what does the vacuum thing operate-> passenger side corner of engine compartment... the little white line coming off it is no longer hooked up and i cant tell what it does. I figure somebody knows.

and second. How does a guy go about re-clearcoating his hood and top edges of the fenders? The paint itself if fine, but the clear coat it peeling/bubbling from sitting for 4 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1993 XLT with a 351 in it.

Not positive how to post photos, doesn't seem to be the same way as the EB forums

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Okay, questions.

First, what does the vacuum thing operate-> passenger side corner of engine compartment... the little white line coming off it is no longer hooked up and i cant tell what it does...
The "thing" operates a door in your HVAC system. Open up the vacuum loom where the other end of the vacuum line went, and when you get to where the white vacuum line is not brittle, slip a small vacuum line over the hard nylon line and the other end over the nipple on the "thing".

Without that "thing" working, you have a vacuum leak, and the air will only come out of the defrost vents, regardless of the selector setting. (vent/floor/etc.)

Now go look at the "Official Name This Part" thread at the top of the Forums page:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210069

Your question was answered in post #19

Regarding "how to post pictures" - here's the link for that:
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/thid-5972-how-do-i-post-pictures-sounds-and-or-videos

You'll find that nearly all your questions are answered somewhere in this forum, search is your friend, use the search at the top of each page. Welcome to FSB

·
Forward Some Money
5,051 Posts
If the clearcoat is peeling, you have a problem with the paint. Paint doesn't just peel from sitting. It may not be just the clear.
Anyway, you can't just sand down the clear and reshoot it. It doesn't come off in precise even layers. If it's not adhering to the basecoat, it probably needs to be taken down far enough to where you would need to seal the old and respray the base coat. I would let a professional look at it to see if he can determine the depth of the problem. If nothing else is peeling, I would suspect the hood / top of fenders were previously repainted, and it's failing.

If you put your trucks info to the left, it makes it easier to help you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well broncos seem notorious for fender and hood paint problems. Paint is original, hasn't been repainted. was a cali rig if that helps....???Paint isn't chipping, looks good. Idk, sat for 4 years and its bubbling in spots

·
Registered
15 Posts
gaxlt is dead on. I work for a collision center. You can sand down the clear but it would be easier to take the hood off the truck and just sand it doen to bare metal and reprime it and lay a good base coat and then reclear it and you should be fine for a long time. Go to a reputable shop to have it done though.

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
thanks. I was wondering about the thing too.

I see a lot of cars with bubling / peeling clear coat. especially those that are kept in the direct sun for years on end.

·
Forward Some Money
5,051 Posts
I have 2 friends with body/paint shops. Like most collision shops, they go for quick turn-around. Neither would waste their time trying to delicately sand a peeling clear coat and try not to disturb the base coat. It's not profitable, and almost certainly will result in an unhappy customer.....and possibly a "freebie" to correct it. Who knows what is wrong with the OPs.
I tried to sand only the clear coat....once....and it was on a pearl paint job, so I was motivated. It was cheaper, easier and better to just reshoot the panel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts