Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After googling for a while, all I can find is clear valve covers for a ricer. I think it would be neat to have clear valve covers so you could see the valve train in action. It seems like they would be easy enough to make (for a company with the appropriate equipment). Does anyone know or have any experience with thermoforming and what it might cost?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
epically pimp.

could i get them with neons in there too?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts
i'd love to put those on my next car. :toothless

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thermoforming might work, but the concept sounds better than it works. I know someone who installed a window in the top of his Ford 2.3 valve cover, and it immediately coated with oil, and you couldn't see anything anyway... Great idea, but doesn't work as neat as it sounds.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
glad i wasent the only one who thought that it'd be soaked with oil immediately.... lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had considered the oil issue but I guess I was looking for someone else to tell me that. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
its a cool idea dont get me wrong, i'd like to see a pare, i justdont think id buy them. id like to see the increased oil flow with rpms.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Figure with the oil and heat they would be clouded in a week flat.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Figure with the oil and heat they would be clouded in a week flat.
eeeh, could be. plastic's along with many other things are few that are constantly getting better and better. i bet the technology is there for a plastic in this aplication, that would last a decent amount of time. i dont think in any situation that it would be a option for a daily driver, now however, if that was your point, i agree completely

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thermoforming might work, but the concept sounds better than it works. I know someone who installed a window in the top of his Ford 2.3 valve cover, and it immediately coated with oil, and you couldn't see anything anyway... Great idea, but doesn't work as neat as it sounds.
Just plug the holes in all of the pushrods. Problem solved. :beer

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
What about transparent aluminum? I heard Scotty refer to this material in one of the Star Trek movies. :toothless

·
Registered
214 Posts
There was a guy in my town that had a '76 Trans Am with a clear hood on it, not sure what it was made of. It was kind of neat, the motor was all chrome and polished aluminum, this was back in the early 80's.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought a clear distributor cap from JCW for an SBF 10+ years ago.
Never used it. Still have it. Should sell it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts