Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

Is there anyway I can clearance the underside of my bronco? got to lookinga tmy buddys truck, his trucks is lower than mine, but he has more clearance underneith due to all my skidplates and what not. I dont want to take the skidplates off as I have a tendancy to put them into use. so any suggestions besides a lift?

·
my precioussssssss
877 Posts
Have a custom T case skid made or re-bend and modify the stock one for more clearance

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
My skid plate doesn't have but maybe 1/2 inch of space between it and the t-case. I think you're just gonna hafta lift it if ya want more clearance.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I just took a tape measure out, and it's a lil more than an inch. That's almost too little to mess with. It's worth a try though.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
but you have to look and you can match the crossmember to the countour of the case, and you can get quite a bit of clearance on the sides, the middle you can get a little, but the outsides a lot. do it with 1/4 inch steel, cause i had a tendancy to use mine a lot. good luck

wes

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
somebody has a write up on cutting and rebending the stock skid to lift it .. anybody remember who that is? :shrug

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
i clearanced mine by smashing it into a rock, the t-case skid now hits the bent crossmember :shrug

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah my skid plate looks something like \^/ jsut put the "^" thing at the bottom lol

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
damager, if i remember correctly, i think it was fireguy that had like 3 inches or so cut out of his t-case skid plate then had it welded back together. i'm surprised he didn't chime in on this one. talk to him, he'll be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
Keith Lawyer did such a thing:

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=139&s=13333#content

I am considering lifting the tranny mount an inch or two and possibly clocking the t-case up a little bit. This will affect driveline angles a little and also take some of the natural downward slope out of the engine, but I have heard only rumors on the ORC forums as to why the engine slows downward to the rear from the factory. Most of us have levelled our Broncos already so the engine actually slopes further downward than it did from the factory anyway, so we have a little bit of room to play with. Reworking the stock "skid plate ahahah" is a good start but personally I think there's much more room for improvement! If you have a high pinion front axle, which probably everybody here does, clocking the case shouldn't hurt much since the front d-shaft angle is pretty good. One big note: you can't do this very much without getting into the body, at least with a BW1356 case and E4OD tranny. A body lift or a fair bit of hacking will be required... how far does your dedication to performance go? :thumbup

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I built my own T-case skid out of 3/16" steel, and 1/4x2" flat bar for supports. More clearance than the stocker and a heck of a lot stronger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts