Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among other ABS codes, I'm getting Code 11 (module failure). I have two parts broncos and I swapped their modules in and I'm still getting Code 11 as well ad two additional sets of codes. Are the codes coming over with the used module(s)?

Is there a way to erase the codes from a used ABS module (say, on the work bench) before swapping the module into another vehicle.

I read the Helms instructions for clearing ABS codes (pasted below)...and they don't address the goal of simply clearing ABS codes before swapping a used module between vehicles.

Searching FSB produced very little useful info related to ABS Code 11; I'm guessing I should begin by cleaning the wiring harness connection pins. I'm hoping to save the ABS control module(s). Has anybody ever had a code 11 and been able to save the module?

-------------------
Helms Instructions...for clearing codes
'93-'96 4WABS
Manually Clearing Diagnostic Codes: All diagnostic trouble codes must be output, all concerns corrected (anti-lock light off) and vehicle driven about 40 km/h (25 mph) before diagnostic trouble codes will be erased.
Note: Do not raise vehicle on hoist and accelerate to 40 km/h (25 mph) to simulate driving the vehicle. Erroneous sensor codes will be set.
Automatic Memory Erasing: A diagnostic trouble code will be automatically erased if no system concerns occur for 50 ignition cycles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'll answer my own question. ABS codes are stored in the ABS module. Disconnecting the ABS module from a battery for one year doesn't clear the codes. To replace, just swap the used replacement module into your Bronco and drive. In my experience, I thoroughly cleaned the electronic connection with a dremel tool and contact cleaner before installation. I drove around town for one afternoon. After several ignition cycles and about 20 miles, the old codes disappeared. I tested the abs on gravel road. I now have ABS and no codes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts