Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a blast today...we had two 78/79 bronco's....my 90, a ranger 4x4 and an f150...

Trail was a HELL of a lot more difficult than I ever imagined it could be. I lost count of how many times I had one or both wheels up in the air...whether it was going uphill, or having the back-end float up going downhill...was absolutely crazy and a blast...

This busted my offroad-virginity...so this first video showcases both my lack of lockers, and my inability to drive.

I've got some really great pictures coming, but they won't be ready until at least tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiPpF88DhJQ

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
wow you almost died.............. good video.............:beer

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Wish i could have gone! looks like you had a good time.. are ready for the next trip? how'd the bronco run?
your camera man sure likes to film the ground :)

Ready for a rear locker? go junkyard 9" and e-bay used detroit

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, wouldn't say almost died....as long as you're going slowly, you have enough time to react when you start to lift. Wish you could have been there Ryan, it was much more harcore than I would have thought...your explorer would have been perfect.

I guess a detroit locker is needed...was looking at the lock right's, but they're all for open diff's, and I have a trak lok diff. EDIT: Saw your post about the 9"...I'll have to look into it....what years did you say was a direct bolt on and from what trucks?

The truck was amazing...once I learned how to drive, and pick my lines. That first video I posted was a great example of me not knowing what to do. I found that the 33's and 4" lift was plenty to get over all the most difficult areas....but my traction is severly limited in spots with that open front, and trak lok out back that's useless. I think with some lockers, and some new 33's....Id be set.

Here are some more pics from the guy with the ranger

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a good run by Josh, in one of the more difficult parts...sorry the first part my friend can't figure out what part of the camera needs to face up, but keep watching, he straightens the camera out...

The problems here were created mostly by the steep incline, and the carb pouring over gas into the engine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MubMw3ic--w&feature=youtu.be

Here is my friends f150...35's on 5.5 inch lift I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRkwcET5U2w&feature=youtu.be

a shot of the ranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pASXSrTELE

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of good ones from my bro's camera

Here is the money shot....hey, great day to watch the clouds float by eh???

Fun stuff

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
LOL, wouldn't say almost died....as long as you're going slowly, you have enough time to react when you start to lift. Wish you could have been there Ryan, it was much more harcore than I would have thought...your explorer would have been perfect.

I guess a detroit locker is needed...was looking at the lock right's, but they're all for open diff's, and I have a trak lok diff. EDIT: Saw your post about the 9"...I'll have to look into it....what years did you say was a direct bolt on and from what trucks?

The truck was amazing...once I learned how to drive, and pick my lines. That first video I posted was a great example of me not knowing what to do. I found that the 33's and 4" lift was plenty to get over all the most difficult areas....but my traction is severly limited in spots with that open front, and trak lok out back that's useless. I think with some lockers, and some new 33's....Id be set.

don't waste money on new 33's, the ones you have are fine.

a rear locker will make TONS of difference. you'll be amazed.

i know for a fact that '80 - 86 (or whatever year they switched to 8.8) 9" axles out of a bronco, or f-150 (maybe half ton van too) is a bolt-in swap for your bronco, as i've done that exact swap before. just make sure you get the right gear ratio (i think 9" usually had 3.50 gears, and the 8.8's usually had 3.55 gears, which is close enough.. the front is 3.54 or something)

next time i gotta go for sure. i just need to take a couple more weekends and dial in the explorer a bit. fix the t-case, fix the trans issue, and redo the steering and front suspension.

nice pics!

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
for your next tires, look into buying a sawzall and getting some used 35s off craigslist

find out where the 35's rub and then use the sawzall to make them not rub :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
nice pic's and decent video's, just need to teach camera man to point at the trucks not ground. looked like a blast.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's Rockhaters bronco..and the other old one is drbronco

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea man, your video's are fantastic!!! I went down that hill just on my front two wheels lol.....man good video shooting, can't wait to see the rest!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts