Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month after buying my Bronco, I took it up to Hungary Valley for some fun. Not too much fun, cause the tires on it have pretty bad tread, but I just could't wait to take it off of the pavement. So there was this really, really steep hill that people force their way up, and I figured I'd give it a shot...Obviously, I didn't get to the top, I only made it about 2/3 of the way...even after flooring it...lol. After I came down in shame :smilie_slap I was back on the road and could hear a clicking coming from the front driver side wheel...It still hasn't gone away, and I've gotten under there to see if I broke anything but I can't really tell...It clicks a lot, but then stops if I step on the breaks. Anyone know what I did? And how to make it better? :duh

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,640 Posts
(I never thought this would need to be explained lol) The hubs are in the center of your front wheels. If there manual hubs then you have to twist the knob to lock them, engaging 4wd. If there auto hubs then you just put your bronco in 4wd and pull forward.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,640 Posts
I know when mine are engaging or disengaging they click a little. Maybe your hubs are stuck?

You'll have to wait until someone with more knowledge about them replies but I would bet its your hubs.

The best thing you can do is swap your auto hubs for a set of manuals, they are 10x more reliable. The auto hubs are known to fail at the worst times, usually when you really need them.

http://www.froggmann.com/Bronco/Tech/3boltconv.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have that button by the gearshift. I have to put it in neutral, then press 4x4. And when I want the low range on, I have a button for that as well. I actually haven't tried the low range yet...and I don't know why I didn't think about using it while trying to get up that hill...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I made made sure I knew what to do during the switch before I tried it out...if I switch it to manual hubs, will I still have to have it in neutral? Cause if so, getting out to do it maually in neutral would seem a little risky, unless I had the e-break on or something....

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,640 Posts
No, you can lock the hubs while in park. You have to shift your transfer case in neutral.

·
Registered
95 EB, 351, ZF5, D60s, 40s
2,486 Posts
No, with the pushbutton, you can engage the 4-hi at any speed. But you must put the tranny in neutral (not park) to shift into 4-lo. You can lock in the manual hubs in any gear you want (park usually works best:toothless)

edit: oops, sorry. missed liltimmy's post (which really doesn't apply anyway because he doesn't have a pushbutton t-case)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So are you saying that I don't have to be in neutral in order to engage the 4x4? I thought I had to stop, put it in neutral, press the button, then drive again....

Is this the source of my clicking sound...the auto hubs? How can I fix it without having to switch to manual hubs?

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
You lost your rattle clip for your front brakes.

How did you guys miss the fact that it stops when he steps on his brakes? Classic symptom of a lost rattle clip.

For the rest of the topic. Switch to manuals. If you don't after we told you to, you deserve any kind of horrendous stuck you get into and whatever it costs you to get unstuck. The stock auto hubs are crap, and will leave you stranded when you need it the most.

To engage 4WD:

RTFM.

You only have to go to neutral and a dead or almost completely dead stop to engage 4LO. 4HI regardless of an ESOF or manual transfer case can be shifted to on the fly, as long as you're NOT spinning the back wheels free (no traction). Do that, and you'll probably blow your transfer case to tiny little bits.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
You lost your rattle clip for your front brakes.

How did you guys miss the fact that it stops when he steps on his brakes? Classic symptom of a lost rattle clip.

For the rest of the topic. Switch to manuals. If you don't after we told you to, you deserve any kind of horrendous stuck you get into and whatever it costs you to get unstuck. The stock auto hubs are crap, and will leave you stranded when you need it the most.

To engage 4WD:

RTFM.

You only have to go to neutral and a dead or almost completely dead stop to engage 4LO. 4HI regardless of an ESOF or manual transfer case can be shifted to on the fly, as long as you're NOT spinning the back wheels free (no traction). Do that, and you'll probably blow your transfer case to tiny little bits.
If the rattle clip is lost, should it be replaced or does it just cause an annoying sound?

·
Registered
95 EB, 351, ZF5, D60s, 40s
2,486 Posts
So are you saying that I don't have to be in neutral in order to engage the 4x4? I thought I had to stop, put it in neutral, press the button, then drive again....

Is this the source of my clicking sound...the auto hubs? How can I fix it without having to switch to manual hubs?
Yes, B4L hit the nail on the head. To test the autohubs, simply remove them and go for a drive. (there are easy to follow threads on how to do this, search auto hub removal) Throw some tape over the hub to keep out dust while driving.

And then, regardless if they work or not, replace them! When I blew mine, I was stuck in the snow in Tahoe, it ruined my trip. Don't let it happen to you!
If the rattle clip is lost, should it be replaced or does it just cause an annoying sound?
replace it, find it cheap or free at a junkyard.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Should be replaced... I don't know if it tapping around causes any significant wear.... obviously if it's grabbing the rotor and making that click sound, there's some kind of wear being done to it, but how much... may not even be worth taking the wheel off to replace the clip.

But who knows... might as well have the clip on there and have it done right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.