Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can anyone assist in helping with some advice on doing a cut and shut to close the rear of an 82 Bronco Cab?

The truck is a full styleside, not a cab chassis type. I would like to keep the styleside. Surely someone at some stage has done a custom job on closing the cab in?

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Another subject that has been disucssed over and over. There are several threads on here about different ways to do the job, including a couple products you can buy. I don't have any good search terms for you, but if you dig around you'll find several examples of what you want to do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd go to a junk yard and get the rear section of a Ford pick up cab of the same year truck. That would probably give you the best starting point for fabing it your self. Also there is a company that makes a bolt on rear wall. I seen it on the internet once but didn't pay much attension at the time. If you search enough you could find it.

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
yo:
Creative Products - Bronco fiberglass half-cab conversion with glass slider - company rep said they sold the mold to Bronco Graveyard - Did a search their but no product yet; have e mailed JBG, asked about availabiity in future,

this was their info before they deleted it:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:nQ6g8UTA53sJ:www.creproonline.com/half_cab_conversion.htm+fiberglass+half-cab+conversion+with+glass+slider&hl=en
(in case the URL goes South):
"...The halfcab consists of 2 main parts; the upper part is a tough, durable fiberglass piece with a glass slider window installed. This bolts into the existing holes when the factory top is removed.

Bolting into the fiberglass piece is a cargo carrier (bulkhead) which goes to the floor. The bulkhead is steel for the Blazers and fiberglass for the Broncos. In approximately three hours from start to finish you will have a unique, original, waterproof short box pickup. Switching it back to original can be done in about 1/2 hour.

All stock parts come in a black, sandable gelcoat. The fiberglass parts can be used as is or sanded and painted. The fiberglass parts can be ordered in white, but we cannot do exact color matching.

Tonneau covers are available for Blazers (1976 - 1991) and Broncos (1980 - 1997 (sic)). The tonneau covers have a lockable T-handle and feature hidden hinges..."

pixs (archived:
Bronco fiberglass half-cab conversion pic #1

Bronco fiberglass half-cab conversion with glass slider #2- company rep said they sold the mold to Bronco Graveyard by creproonline.com
Bronco fiberglass half-cab conversion with glass slider, parts

-
Top Mod (to fastback style) IDEA on a 92 by Jeremy M (Big '92 jermil01) at SuperFord.org

Top Mod (shortened) on a 93 by bigbroncojeff (Jeff J) at FSB Forums fullsizebronco.com

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not trying to discourage the idea, but I don't understand the purpose of this. Wouldn't this mod make the Bronco look just like a SWB F150 with a fiberglass cover over the bed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the advice, yes it sounds alittle crazy to some but hey you can get the best of both worlds. It aint sweet unless you make it look like what it was designed for, a pickup. Post some picks when I finished the mods.

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
Mark from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard was kind enough to reply very quickly this morning and said the Bronco fiberglass half-cab conversions with glass slider should be available this summer!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Mark from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard was kind enough to reply very quickly this morning and said the Bronco fiberglass half-cab conversions with glass slider should be available this summer!
yeah? but about how much??? arm, leg, nuts?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My thought would be to take a spare junkyard top for a bronco as my starting point and use it for my conversion. By cutting the roof section and most of the sides out you could retain the stock mounting points and the roof section itself would make a great hard toneau cover.

You would likely have to leave the sides a little taller to get access to the mounting bolts, but glassing it back together using the front window from an F 150 topper as the rear window would give you most of the material you would need to make a very factory looking notchback bronco that should be as weathertight as the original.

As far as the rearwall goes, I'd fab up a set of channels and drop it in when doing the change over and secure it with a couple of bolts into blind fastners.

:drinkbud

Not my cup of tea, but if I was going to do it I would build around existing parts that are readily available and cheap.

:wtf

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
there is a bronco at the local JY like that, They used plywood to close it in next time i go i will get a pic

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with moding the OEM top being you can get them for under $100. For about $300-400 you could have it done with slider and all if you don't mind working with fiberglass. than again...why?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
that is weird,

The one at my j/Y I almost bought it, it even has a slidinfg window and everything, munts to the fatcory hard top holes

monkey4life, where are you located?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
i dunno

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,624 Posts
Which yard?

there was a kit out years ago that converted it, maybe its one of them. Id like to swing down there and take a look, altho i have no interest in buying it. Unless someone on FSB wants it :thumbup

·
ford freak
731 Posts
that is weird,

The one at my j/Y I almost bought it, it even has a slidinfg window and everything, munts to the fatcory hard top holes

monkey4life, where are you located?

Annapolis...the one I saw was really hack...lol...poly windows in a wood frame that was screwed to what ever the guy could find. the guy also had a military ammo can for a center console :toothless

1 - 20 of 21 Posts