Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a "Clunk" in the front when I hard accel, de-cel....which I ASSUMED was the ujoint. After inspecting, the play seems to be coming from the housing on the front axle where the yoke is. Is there a bearing in there to replace or something? It isn't REAL bad right now, but enough tha I checked. Seems to be about an 1/8" of slop or wiggle on the front yoke. I inspected the yoke and ujoing on the ds, it all looks good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is the slop side to side or in and out? Guess it doesn't really matter. Pinion gear could be going out. Could also be the nut holding it on. Best to find out quick before you do more damage. Much easier and cheaper to replace a bearing than a whole gear set

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Are you in or out of 4 WD when you here the clunk? Also, do you have a NP203 or NP205 transfer case?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you in or out of 4 WD when you here the clunk? Also, do you have a NP203 or NP205 transfer case?
I am in 2H and I have a NP205. Bronco has a 460 with C6...and questionable motor mounts. I checked those today and didn't see any movement under load to cause the clunk. Has to be the front axle somehow...me thinks.

Side Note;

I did get a new ujoint for the front, but it was too big. It is a USA 8 ujoint in the shaft. I got the 4800DL for the front replacement and it was 1/4 inch too big. E 2 0 was on the cap and USA 8 was on the body. My rear driveshaft was a Spicer, so the plot thickens.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
some rotational play in the pinion is normal. if it's more than a half inch or so either way, i'd be concerned.

don't forget about your radius arm mounts/bushings.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some rotational play in the pinion is normal. if it's more than a half inch or so either way, i'd be concerned.

don't forget about your radius arm mounts/bushings.
Ohh, you mean those pieces of metal rubbing together everywhere underneath my front end where rubber should be? LOL! Thanks for reminding me, all those bushings are rotted away, I just need to order the whole kit.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Ohh, you mean those pieces of metal rubbing together everywhere underneath my front end where rubber should be? LOL! Thanks for reminding me, all those bushings are rotted away, I just need to order the whole kit.
Well there is your problem.Fix your bushings and dont rule out the motor mounts just cause they look ok.
Your not going to get a clunk out of that front axle or Ujoint if your only in 2wd.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well there is your problem.Fix your bushings and dont rule out the motor mounts just cause they look ok.
Your not going to get a clunk out of that front axle or Ujoint if your only in 2wd.
Changed out the motor mounts to WCB Heavy Duty mounts; which are AWESOME....but I still have the clunk. Must be the sway bar bushings, which I will get to next week.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pull the sway bar off and see if it is better...if it is leave it off...if it isnt leave it off! No real need for the sway bar on the old broncos...they dont sway. You will find many guys on here chucked the sway bar a while ago.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Clunk issue has been resolved!! Turned out the front driveshaft just need to be greased. And now, the Clunk is gone!!! Removed the slip yoke, slapped in some grease, and viola, easy fix.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

NOT SOLVED! I forgot to take it out of 4h while I was test driving, THAT'S why there was no clunk. The clunk returned when I went back into 2h. So, when engaged, no clunk....dangit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmm.....I have rear end clunk when switching into reverse. Watching intently:popc1:, though probably unrelated problems to yours. I keep blowing u-joints, which I thought was due to the twisted axle. I re-mounted the leaf spring mounts and fixed it for a while. Still a clunk, and still grenading u-joints, though not as often.

Keep us posted if you figure it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts