Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the truck it had a clunking sound. Which I thought was the front radius arm bushings. The rear part of the bushings were almost not there. And when you applied the brakes you could see the arms move about an 1/8 inch. So thinking this was the noise I went ahead and bought the Bronco.

Well, I got it home and fixed the radius arm bushing and the noise is less but not gone. When I come to a complete stop it almost feels like the body/frame still move a little and something in the drive train is loose. It will also clunk when I take off. If I go easy on it, it won't make the sound. I've pretty much gone over all the obvious stuff but I can't see or find what would cause this loose clunking noise.

Some of the local shops have said it could be from axle rap. Saying that my springs are letting the axle move front to back (when braking and accel.).

Sorry for the long post. Other than this issue I love this thing.:thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
What's up, welcome to the site. We would all be more than happy to help ya, but we're gonna need a little more info about your rig, year, lift size, axles, tires and so forth. That will at least get us started in the right direction.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that.

1994 CHP Rescue Bronco HD, pretty much stock I assume. No lift, stock tires and axles.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the rear drive shaft cv joint (IF YOU HAVE A CV JOINT) the centering yoke may be bad , it doesn't take much wear at all to make the noise you are discribing. had one do the same thing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This problem is commonly caused by the slip joint. Pull the strap off of one side of the boot, push the boot up to expose the joint and regrease the joint. Use a zip tie to strap the boot back on and you should be good to go.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Check the rear diff. for excess slop, also check the condition of the rear u-joints.

Good Luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for the info. I'll do that as soon as I get home today.

I'll keep everyone posted. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got home and did just as you guys said. And it isn't gum'ed up. It's moving smoothly. So, the clunk is still there.:banghead

Any other ideas???? I'm going to be putting a lift on shortly so I'll go over everything yet again.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
BroncoD said:
Sorry about that.

1994 CHP Rescue Bronco HD, pretty much stock I assume. No lift, stock tires and axles.

Thanks
Is this the one that one that was listed on Ebay a few times? I wanted that truck, but it was on the wrong side of the country.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
My problem sounded exactly like yours, like others said, I think it's in your driveshaft.

I made sure the joints were ok, then took the slip yoke shaft (I think it's called) out of the shaft and greased it up really well, then put it back on, no more clunk.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I took the shaft out and used 4 wheel to go about 5 mph and the clunk is totally gone. It would clunk while using the brakes or giving it gas from a stop.

The U joints all feel good and so does the cv joint. If I have it out should I just go ahead and replace all these parts or what?? Can they be bad even though the feel okay?

Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
I was in a funk over a clunk too!

Checked everything and found that the tranny cross member was not torqued down on the drivers side. It was moving just enough to clunk the frame when I accelerated or hit the brakes. It did not do it all the time and I was sure the noise was coming from the rear mount of the radius arm as you thought.

If all the joints are tight in the driveline I would not replace em. Why?, unless you got the bucks and time.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
I had the same problem with the "clunking" noise on my '96...on acceleration and then coming to a stop. It turned out I had worn spider gears in the rear diff, there was some play in them. While I had the rear diff open, I took the opportunity to inspect the ring and pinion gear, and saw some wear there too. So I took the opportunity to replace the ring and pinion (Superior Gear) and then, instead of just replacing the worn spider gears (cheaper alternative), threw in an Auburn Pro Series Limited Slip instead. This obviates the need to replace the spider gears.

Now I have no clunking noise and the truck rides minty fresh. What a relief.

Hope that is some help.

Jackhart

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I took the drive shaft apart and full greased it up, It helped a little. But it was still there.

A friend said, lets take the T case apart and see if the c clips are broken. The shaft the drive line bolts to had some slop and was moving in/out. If you pulled it out and tried to push it in really fast you could hear a little clunk. Well, we took it apart and the t case was in perfect cond. But the output bearing was able to move in/out a little. So we bought a new bearing and used a super thin shim and bolted it all back together. The shim took out the slop and NO MORE CLUNK.

We tried a couple different shims but we had to make sure the final case (4 bolts) would still mount totally flush (with the shim in).

Anyway, thought I would let everyone know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We have had the same problem with three different trucks (bronco, ranger, exploder) and the problems we found where the bolt on the bottom of the axle that holds it to the radius arms where lose. We also found that a couple of the rivrts in the frame where lose.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was the first thing I did. It stopped a LOT of the clunking. but not all of it.

I then took the t case apart and it looks good. So I used a couple shims and it is almost totally gone. I wheeled it pretty hard this weekend and so far so good. The only other thing I can see is the rear end looks like it's gonna need a rebuild. It looks like the yoke is moving a little. And that is prob. whats causing the little bit I still have.

·
Registered
112 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
Is this the one that one that was listed on Ebay a few times? I wanted that truck, but it was on the wrong side of the country.
hehe...I remember looking at that too. :)

Glad to hear you got the clunk out

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Domin4nt said:
hehe...I remember looking at that too. :)

Glad to hear you got the clunk out
Really, what color was it? And how much was he asking?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts