Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been wondering what was happening when I heard a thunking sound coming from the front somewhere in the drivetrain when I got stuck in a snowdrift. I had my manual locking hubs locked before I tried to go through it of course, and when I couldnt go forward my friend and I dug behind it to back it up, so I was giving it alot of gas in reverse and it would kind of thunk a couple times every second or so. I don't think it did it when I tried to go forwards though. Seems to be working fine, just curious what it is.

Thanks guys

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Being a 208 tcase it could be the chain slipping. Is it constant (clank, clank, clank) when your stuck and on the gas or does it happen every so often.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it does seem to be a constand clanking/popping sound. It sounded like it was originating more up forward though, not from right under me (I had the door open). I was hoping it was just one wheel spinning backwards because I was spinning down to ice, then perhaps catching, and it spinning forwards and making the other go backwards or something. But it seemed to be timed too evenly for that. Really hope it's not my T-Case though... that sounds bad.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
My 208 Popped like your saying. It seemed to be my front end doing it but it turned out to be my case. It could be your lockouts stripped. Others will chime in with their thoughts. Hard to trouble shoot over the net without seeing or listening to it.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
could be a limited slip my buddies f-150 sounded like that and it was the limited slip.

·
Banned
19,922 Posts
Even if his '81 has an L/S, it can't still be tight enough to pop. And that only happens during a turn on a hi-traction surface, anyway.

I'd guess the front ring gear has a chipped tooth, or the front pinion nut is loose & the gear is striking the carrier, or u-joint is bad/worn/loose, or a tire was packed with snow & it was hitting the caliper. :shrug

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Mine made a lot of clunking when my spider gears sheared off all their teeth

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I thought Ford made limited slip for the rear only.

·
Banned
19,922 Posts
Think again. ;)

Ford didn't actually make any of them. They buy TracLoks for all their axles from Eaton & install them as OE.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Steve83 said:
Think again. ;)

Ford didn't actually make any of them. They buy TracLoks for all their axles from Eaton & install them as OE.
I didn't know who actually made them but the point I was making is that they never made limitted slip difs for the front....or did they?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
OK, Steve, I'll take your word for it, I guess there is a slight chance you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:
Here is something you likely know but a lot of people don't and it almost cost me a hundred dollars to find this out. If you have posi, front and back and you raise one front tire and one rear tire (doesn't matter which front or which rear) and, with the truck locked in 4 wheel drive, you put it in drive you will not move. Instead you will have each tire that is off the ground spinning but you wont move.

·
Banned
19,922 Posts
Even a limited slip has its limits. If you try that with a BRAND new or freshly rebuilt LS (esp. one with the +1 mod), you'll be back on the ground & driving before you realize it. On an old set with hundreds of thousands of miles of wear on them - yeah, they're basically open diffs.

The ONLY thing that never wears or fails is a spool, but that's exactly why differentials were invented.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Steve83 said:
Even a limited slip has its limits. If you try that with a BRAND new or freshly rebuilt LS (esp. one with the +1 mod), you'll be back on the ground & driving before you realize it. On an old set with hundreds of thousands of miles of wear on them - yeah, they're basically open diffs.

The ONLY thing that never wears or fails is a spool, but that's exactly why differentials were invented.
Nope. When I bought my 91 Ranger brand new off the lot, I was bragging to this guy about my new truck with posi. After bragging about it for a while he tried to bet me $100 that if I raised each tire, 1 front and 1 rear, that it wouldn't move. I almost bet him, but i didn't. Instead I did just that, raised one front and one rear and I did not move from that spot. I couldn't believe it. My truck only had a few thousand kilometres on it. You can't get much newer than that.

·
Banned
19,922 Posts
Yeah, you could get BRAND new or freshly rebuilt. :thumbup A few Kkm is all it takes to wear in the clutches. After that, they need SOME bias across them before the spider gears can wedge in & tighten them up. :shrug Also, the newer trucks have a MUCH stronger preload spring, so they stay "fresh" longer.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats all good stuff to know, thanks Steve. I'll have to try what Waltman said too about getting a front and rear tire up off the ground. I was just curious, you said that a spool was the only thing that didn't wear, so I guess that includes lockers? I guess I could see a air or electric one wearing out after a few years, but how about the Aussie lockers? I was on their site a few months ago and it said they have a super long warranty and supposedly they don't wear? Maybe you're not sure, but just again kind of curious.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Steve83 said:
Yeah, you could get BRAND new or freshly rebuilt. :thumbup A few Kkm is all it takes to wear in the clutches. After that, they need SOME bias across them before the spider gears can wedge in & tighten them up. :shrug Also, the newer trucks have a MUCH stronger preload spring, so they stay "fresh" longer.
I disagree whith you Steve, even if the first thing I did with my new truck was raise one front and one rear tire, it still wouldn't move any where. A limited slip posi, by definition, the power going to the tires will travell to the side with the least resistance...the raised tires. I read that in the hanes manual. It's in there somewhere.
Have you ever actually tried raising the tires and actually see this for yourself, or are you basing this on theory?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
dumb question but my brain isn't in gear right now.

is a posi a locker or a Limited Slip? my step-dad had one put in the bko before he gave it to me. and if i dropped one tire in snow, and the other on dry/wet pavement, i'd have to get the tire in the snow spinning pretty good before the diff took over and locked the axles together.

but now, lets say, i went around a corner (wet pavement) doing about 20mph, and floored it, both rear tires would snap loose instantly. what gives?

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
waltman said:
OK, Steve, I'll take your word for it, I guess there is a slight chance you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:
Here is something you likely know but a lot of people don't and it almost cost me a hundred dollars to find this out. If you have posi, front and back and you raise one front tire and one rear tire (doesn't matter which front or which rear) and, with the truck locked in 4 wheel drive, you put it in drive you will not move. Instead you will have each tire that is off the ground spinning but you wont move.

now, with an lsd in this situation wouldn't applying the brakes slightly (while also pressing the accelerator) get power to the wheels on the ground and get you going again?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
now, with an lsd in this situation wouldn't applying the brakes slightly (while also pressing the accelerator) get power to the wheels on the ground and get you going again?
Yes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts