Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite a while now, my 1990 Bronco's torque converter has been kinda clunky when locking and unlocking. At times, it kinda jerks the driveline. Recently, it has been not wanting to unlock when I'm slowing down to a stop until just the last minute, almost bogging the motor. I've checked the tranny fluid and it is just over the full mark, clear red in color, but the fluid has a lot of bubbles in it. I don't have a temp gauge for the tranny but the engine never gets past the half mark on the factory gauge. Anybody experience similar porblems with their tranny/torque converter?

I've got a 1990 Bronco Custom with a 5.0 and AOD. The vehicle has 95,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a pro auto tranny guy take mine for a test drive just before I bought it . . . Just cause I heard things bout the E4OD. He said that its basically a good tranny except for the torque converter. The T.C. is made of a fibrous material that will disintegrate when it is toast. He told me that if I ever heard/felt a shuddering while accelerating up a hill that I should get it checked right away. If you catch it before the T.C. disintegrates, it is about a
$300.00 bill. After it disintegrates it will chew up the rest of the tranny. That is why these tranny's suck so bad. However, apparently the aftermarket T.C.'s can be had that don't come apart when they are toast. This is all I know about them. Hope that helps and make sure you get it checked by an honest tranny guy.

BB:D

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
my t.c is getting bad too. my truck is all stock, should i just get a stock t.c.?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts