Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever done a clutch cable conversion with an NP435 Transmission? Are there any kits available?

I have an 85 Bronco with 351W and NP435. This was changed from an automatic to standard at some point, but not by me. The clutch components are the 78-79 ball pivot style with the motor side and frame side pivot brackets with the equalizer bar between them.

I am looking at other options because it is extremely difficult to get the pivot brackets. I can get the motor side one new for a whopping $85 but the frame side is not available. The pivots are so worn out on my bronco that the clutch barely works now, so I am looking at alternatives.

From doing some research I see you need to change the pivot point in your bellhousing so that a pull will push on the pressure plate instead of a push by your fork. So I guess a new bell housing, fork and some sort of cable kit would do it (maybe the pedals too).

Any help would be appreciated, even if you have a fix or source for the pivot style.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately when I picked up this bronco, it was already converted from an automatic to a manual transmission with this set up. There was no original hydraulic set up. By looking at the whole set up, everything came from a 78 or 79 donor.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
im with steve, it would be better to just convert to a hydro clutch. Those parts will just continually wear out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you guys too. Thats why I was looking into some sort of a conversion whether it be cable or hydraulic. What do I need to convert to hydraulic? I don't even have a setup here that I can look at. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
clutch master cylinder (mounts to firewall)
clutch slave cylinder (mounts to bellhousing)
Hydraulic line (runs between the two)
Clutch fork for hydraulic set up
throwout bearing may be different
pressure plate may be different
bellhousing may be different...you may not be able to "convert" yours from linkage to hydraulic

and i'm sure i overlooked something completely obvious :duh

·
Registered
225 Posts
Would the pedals be different? Seems like it would be different where the linkage attaches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is quite the picture document. It helps a lot! Thanks Steve83!

I guess I am going to have to rig up something for a fix on my pivot brackets for now and start my scavenging. I already have bought a centerforce II clutch for this pivot type of set up, so I guess I will use it for now until I can collect all the parts I need to convert to hydraulic.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Of course if anyone has any other info, I would be happy to hear!

·
Banned
11,602 Posts
The clutch should work with either; but you might have to change the pressure plate (a.k.a. clutch cover, a.k.a. diaphragm). I've seen several hydraulic bellhousing trucks in the JYs recently, so look around. You ought to be able to get everything from one donor, like this.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have the bracket that mounts to the side of your bellhousing. The bell that came with the diesel has it built in so I have no need for it. The pedals are different because of how the pressure goes out of the firewall. The clutch pedal goes across the top of the pedals and has an arm that pushes out on the master cyl and gives the pressure by the gas pedal. I also STRONGLY recomend the Ford firewall TSB brace that keeps it from cracking. If you need pix, I can try to get some of mine as I have this setup.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks seawalkersee. I have seen those firewall braces before. I guess I will begin my quest and hopefully have everything needed before my pivots wear out again.

Steve83, I have also bought a new centerforce II pressure plate to go along with the new clutch. I think you are right, I would have to get a new pressure plate too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I came across a kit. Have a look and let me know what you think. Then all I would need is a master and pedals? I am not sure about my bell housing whether it is aluminum or cast iron....I will have to look.

Chris, what would you be looking for for your stuff? Keep in mind, I live in Canada, shipping would be more.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_hcrf.htm

·
Banned
11,602 Posts
Novak Adapt said:
Option I - For ... Jeep CJ & FSJ

Option II - For ... Jeep XJ, YJ, TJ
Those kits are for putting Ford engines/transmissions in Heeps. You're putting it in a Ford, so use Ford parts. :shrug If you want to spend that much & have new parts, buy them at Ford or NAPA.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would hit up some bone yards in canada to see what you can get. I would want $50 plus shipping. Im not sure how far from the border you live, but I have no problem shipping them to Canada if you want to pay shipping.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those kits are for putting Ford engines/transmissions in Heeps. You're putting it in a Ford, so use Ford parts. :shrug If you want to spend that much & have new parts, buy them at Ford or NAPA.
Yeah, I just figured that all of those parts bolt into Ford parts.....so technically they are Ford parts!:thumbup

I will definitely price out what I can from local parts dealers, whatever I cannot find. I generally don't buy directly from ford unless I have to because most of their prices are beyond ridiculous. At least now I have an idea of what I am looking for now. Before I did not have a clue!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would hit up some bone yards in canada to see what you can get. I would want $50 plus shipping. Im not sure how far from the border you live, but I have no problem shipping them to Canada if you want to pay shipping.

Chris
Thanks Chris! I will have to wait a few weeks now, as I just spent a ton of money on the clutch kit and rebuilt NP435. I think the only hard part now would be getting pedals. If you still have the parts when I am ready, I will likely pick them up from you. It will save me a ton of time looking for those parts!

Terry

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Are you looking for the pedals too? I do not have the ones that will fit the 80-86. I have a set of later ones though but you will have to cut your dash support if you need them....or I can see what a set will cost from the boneyard here in the states.

Chris

1 - 20 of 32 Posts