Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
yes/no

thier are 2 types of that Cobra intake.

1st one is simple and made for the 5.0L engines. It will only work on 5.0s and not 5.8s

2nd, you'll need to tell them you have a 351W, 5.8L and not a 5.0L

Then it will work.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Sorry I am not following. What 2 types of Cobra intake are there? They made a Cobra in 93 w/ the 5.0 and then made one in 94 or 95 with the 5.8L but that was an R model, very hard to find. A GT-40 intake is very similair to the Explorer intake. All Cobras after that became 4.6.

·
Registered
566 Posts
GT-40 everything sux!

The Cobra intake, true came on the '93 Cobra but thats a 5.0 engine.

He simply asked if that Cobra Intake from a 5.0 engine would fit on his 351W. Simple answer NO!

They do make that same intake for 351W V8s too. So when inquiring about getting that intake for your 351W tell them you have a 5.8L and not the all common 5.0L engine. pretty simple.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
BuckingBronco93 said:
GT-40 everything sux!.
The true GT-40 tubular intake is still one of the best on the market. Also the GT-40"X" Heads are a preaty good set of heads.
BuckingBronco93 said:
They do make that same intake for 351W V8s too. So when inquiring about getting that intake for your 351W tell them you have a 5.8L and not the all common 5.0L engine. pretty simple.
1. I dont know of any Cobra intake kit designed for a 351w.

2. The cobra lower is identical to the GT-40 lower.

3. The Cobra upper is almost identacle internaly to the GT-40 upper.

4. All 1993-95 Lightnings came with a GT-40 upper and 351w GT-40 lower, that you can bolt a cobra upper to.

5. The only company that still makes a GT-40 351w lower is Steeda.

6. The 1993 Cobra R, was the only 351w Mustang (FOX) ever made. It did have a 351w GT-40 lower and the standard upper. It also had no radio:toothless

·
Registered
554 Posts
Lets clear up a few things in this thread..

There was a 95 cobra R that had a 351w with gt40 intake as well so the 93 was not the only mustang, its not a fox and the 95's had a diff. upper, didnt know if that was what gnack was getting at with the fox but wanted to clear that up.

ALL the GT40 family intakes flow about the same in the 200-210cfm range with debate actually saying that the 302 explorer intake actually flowed alittle more factory.

The Gt40 "stuff" does not "suck" at all... for a truck you want and need low end trq.

NO INTAKE WILL MAKE MORE low end trq. than a stock mustang intake (however,you cannot use this on a 351 though), this has been dyno proven against many, many diff. intakes and engine combos. Of course after the low end the other intakes DOMINATE the trq. after 3,500-ish rpms and likewise in HP.

Over 90% of the time the gt40 intake family makes more low end trq. (I am being very neg. with that 90, its more like 98-99%) than almost all the other aftermarket intakes and if they do make less than then another its like a 2-4ftlbs diff. The gt40 tends to die off at around 5k-5,500 rpm compard' to the "others" but still for its age is a very,very, very hard intake to beat...esp. if you can find one at a good price.

Now the stock mustang (gt, non-gt40) can with the lower ported flow 190cfm with no work done to the upper (the upper flows around 190). This is a great trade off compared to a gt40...however, again this is not realy a good option for a 351 so its a bit moot.

There are also a few diff. gt40 heads out there in iron form. the gt40 and the gt40P

1. the gt40 heads are off the 93-95 cobra, 93 and 95 cobra R and the 93-95 gen 1 lightning, as well as a few early year 5.0 explorers, the gt40's found on the 351w engings have a 1/2 in head bolt as they use larger head bolts. These heads stock for stock flow less then the gt40P heads and are an earlier casting/design. They however can be ported further due to the fact the gt40p heads have a water passage closer to either the intake or exh. (want to say exh.) runner.

2. the gt40P heads were on the later/most 5.0 explorer motors and flow more than the reg. gt40 heads due to a smaller exh. valve to help volocity, as well as a re-done comb. chamber, and the deleting of the EGR thermo-dohickys-bump. These heads are a GREAT jy find and fairly cheap.

both the iron gt40 heads are GREAT with a good quality valve job and some springs to match the cam....

Now the gt40 heads are not AFR/TW/Edlb./Holley heads, they can be ported and get even more power but then we are not comp. bapples to bapples.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
blksn955.o said:
There was a 95 cobra R that had a 351w with gt40 intake as well so the 93 was not the only mustang, its not a fox and the 95's had a diff. upper, didnt know if that was what gnack was getting at with the fox but wanted to clear that up.
Thats the one. I only know about FOX Mustangs, so I dont know anything about this 95 car. I'v never had anything but FOX cars so I never learned the smaller details of the later cars.

I wasnt sure about the later cars, thats why I prefaced it with FOX :thumbup

·
Registered
554 Posts
The 94-95 upper is diff. from the others as it has the turn at the t-body. Didnt want to come off like an arse Gacknar if you took it that way just wanted to point it out...

I wanted to clear up the wrong info like your post did and add some to it. I re-read it and since I started out with the 95 R diff. I hope you didnt take it that your post was one needing correction, it was not the intention.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
blksn955.o said:
Didnt want to come off like an arse Gacknar if you took it that way just wanted to point it out...
I hope you didnt take it that your post was one needing correction, it was not the intention.
Not at all:beer

Like I said, Idont know about the newer cars so I cant say anything about them with 100% confidence, so I dont.:toothless

I leave that to folks such as yourself who have more experiance with them.:thumbup

I try not to asume things about vehichles that I have no experiance with, thats all.:shrug

I bow to your superior knowledge of the newer cars.:toothless

No ofence was taken, and you in no way came off as anything other than knowledgable in your post:thumbup

Altho you did spell, and use grammer almost as poorly as I do in that post.:histerica :histerica :histerica :toothless :beer :thumbup :histerica

·
Registered
554 Posts
I realy dont watch/put much time constructing my posts :toothless .

My spelling is ALWAYS bad, and I feel that a forum is not formal so I realy dont care as long as my point gets across...its a wonder I got a B+,B,B+ in my college comp. 101,102 and advanced expository(sp?) writing classes...thank GOD for spellcheck:histerica

·
Registered
554 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts